Tuesday, July 29, 2003

As a sprite young soon-to-be-25-year-old, I am thankful for my general physical health. I can play ball and run and skip and dance a jig to my heart's content without feeling like something is going to break and/or fall off. Yet as I watched my dearest wife (who is only 26) struggle with back pain this weekend I wondered...do we just officially start falling apart in our mid-20s?

My knees are in decent shape. Most of their problems stem from my moronic decision to be on the cross country team in high school. That decision combined with my family history, does not bode well for the old leg-benders. I was talking to my mom the other day about my knees hurting, as they have off and on since high school, and she said,

"Oh yes, mine hurt all the time, too. Honey, sounds like you have The Malinoski Knees."

Yes, it's the dreaded Malinoski knees -- named for mom's maiden heritage. Apparently these dreaded Polish knees (which thankfully do not resemble Polish sausages, and hopefully they never will) start irritating you when you're young, and then decide to slowly degenerate as you get older. Mine already have a lovely grinding cartilage noise when I bend down or stand back up, and therefore it will be exciting to see what other noises they'll make as I advance in age.

So here I am at 24, and I swear to the Big Guy Upstairs that my knees do hurt when the weather changes. It is pathetic, even though they are usually more accurate than the forecasters on TV--although my knees don't have that cool Nexrad radar or Doppler 5000. That would be sweet, but I don't know where I would store it.

But I digress. It is now established that my knees aren't the best, but they work well for now and have some interesting built-in weather capabalities.

More pain I get here and there comes from my back. Some of that again stems from cross country, and more of it stems from a stupid, stupid motion. One morning in college I was brushing my teeth and I merely bent down to rinse my mouth out when OW! My back just suddenly gave out. I had to lay completely motionless on the floor of my room for the next six hours. Ever since then, the back pain comes and goes as it likes, whether I lift something heavy (like beached whales or semi-trucks) or not.

I'm thinking that from now on, I'll just wrap myself up in a huge bubble-wrap ball and have someone roll me from place to place. How's that for low-impact?

Anyone else feel like they're falling apart at too young an age?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home