Monday, July 21, 2003

Laughs, Karaoke, & Bruised Knees

It's nice to have an active weekend. Sometimes I get to work on Monday and I think, "Wow, I had two whole days to do whatever I wanted, and I did nothing."

Yet today I feel a bit of triumph from my weekend activities. Saturday night we had our improv show, which went fairly well. It was not our best show, but it was also not our worst. I directed this show, and while I don't enjoy directing at all, I'm glad I did it at least once. I actually think Saturday shows aren't that great for the troupe. I feel like our Friday shows are better because we're all coming off of work to let off some steam and cut loose. On Saturdays, we've had the whole day to relax and bum around, and then oh yeah, we have a show, let's go be funny. But whatever, people laughed, it was pretty good, and I now don't have to direct a show again unless I want to.

After the show our opening troupe Spinprov invited us to go do some karaoke with them. We thought, why not? So about 10 of us piled into the karaoke bar down the street and tore it up. Even my introvert wife belted out "Living on a Prayer" by Bon Jovi as the rest of us sang along and cheered. Hell, she even threw in an air guitar solo and an air guitar smash-up solo. It was awesome.

Then I did my favorite song to karaoke, "Foxy Lady" by Jimi Hendrix. I had done this song once before a few years back. I was in western Mass. with some AmeriCorps friends, and the place to hang out in the little town was a VFW bar with karaoke. So I did Foxy Lady and brought the place down. My back-up dancers couldn't even dance because they were laughing so hard as I gyrated and then crawled across the floor and rolled around.

So this time I had to make sure I used the same skills to get the crowd into it. I did all that and more, as I draped myself over the karaoke screen and hit every note. I guess I made such an impression that it was enough for the table next to us to buy me a beer. That was cool, no one's ever done that before!

On Sunday, my friend Greg took Amy and I rock-climbing. I went rock-climbing once back in high school, and then I climbed the rock wall in the gym back in college once or twice, so it's been some time. We did about a 40 foot rock face in Newton, and it was really fun. I learned how much of a difference climbing shoes make, as Amy went first and only had heard sneakers on. It took her some time to get to the top. Then I went, but we saw that the folks climbing next to us were taking a break, so I asked to borrow their shoes. Wow, I felt like spider-gal. It's so invigorating doing something like that, you feel like you've really accomplished something --- like you've earned your dinner. My knees are all beaten and scratched up and today my hands are so tired it's hard to use a writing device. But it was awesome.

And today it's back to the desk, but that's not bothering me too much right now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home