Tuesday, July 08, 2003

Mountains & Alien Zombie Axe Murders

Amy and I spent the holiday weekend up in Jackson, New Hampshire, seeing some friends get hitched. If you've never been to the White Mountains, you need to go. It's such a beautiful place.

Living in the city now, I had forgotten what trees and grass mountains and unpolluted streams look like. Sometimes on my lunch break I go down to the huge Christian Science Plaza, take off my shoes and socks, and walk around on their grassy knoll. It reminds of that part in the movie "Pretty Woman" where Richard Gere is wearing a suit and is doing the same. I used to walk around barefoot in my yard all the time growing up in Ohio. I miss having a yard!

Anywho, the White Mountains are really fun. Amy and I spent some time at White Lake. It's a beautiful lake that is shallow enough around the edges that you can walk about 50 feet out or so without the water going up much past your knees. So we hiked in a lake and saw all kinds of critters like loons and tadpoles and chipmunks and such.

We also got a chance to swim in a bunch of local swimming holes all weekend. It's amazing up there because there are rocky streams everywhere, which make fun swimming holes. We spent Saturday morning lying on a huge granite rock in the middle of this rocky stream. The water was about 60 degrees, but that doesn't feel so bad when it's 95 degrees outside with a million % humidity.

But alas, it's back to work now. And then Amy leaves tomorrow to go home for a week. I do like being alone at times, but certainly not for extended times. Whenever I am home alone, I think of every horror film out there (both seen and unseen by me) and automatically picture everything from axe murderers to aliens to zombies to ghosts in the apartment with me--but they're in every room and hallway where I am not, waiting for me.

I am a wimp. So here goes a week on my own.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home