Wednesday, August 27, 2003

I respect people who stick strongly by their beliefs. This respect comes only if you're also willing to be challenged on them and if you're willing to engage in good and civil conversation about them.

When I first read about the controversy over the removal of the Ten Commandments plaque from that Alabama judicial building, I thought, "Oh boy, here we go again." Everyone knew that it would only be a short time before swarms of religious fundies would be gathering to scream and bicker and pray in public.

I don't agree with having the Ten Commandments in any public (read government) building. I know that statement could open up a whole other can of worms regarding conversations about why then do we have "In God We Trust" on all of our money and why we swear on a Bible when testifying in court. Those are tough arguments about which I'm not sure how I feel just yet. How would you go about challenging or changing something so ingrained like that?

But I digress. I saw these swarms of Christians holding vigil in front of that justice building in Alabama and kept thnking, "What is with these people? This is separation of church and state. And come on, it's a big granite tablet in a court building, aren't there other more important things people should be holding vigil over?" I was angry at first, automatically grouping these people with other so-called "Christians" who waste their time doing horrible things like picketing AIDS funerals or yelling hate-filled rhetoric at gays. Yet more thought over this issue has helped me see the different sides.

This is an important issue to these folks. They might see this as another part of our society today losing its values. Sure, we might all disagree on what values Americans should hold true today, but we should at least have respect for others' views on the topic.

While I still believe that these folks' time could be better spent helping out those who are really in need of assistance -- whether it be the homeless or teaching people to read, etc... - why shouldn't they stand up for something they really believe in? And I also imagine that many of these folks probably do spend some quality time helping out those in need. I don't support of any of these people if they turn their vigil into hatred or violence, but I've seen nothing like that so far. The only pictures I've seen from the scene show them praying on the steps in front of the building or giving speeches on the issue.

So vigil and pray away, folks. If you believe in the cause, then go for it. I won't be there to support you on the issue, but I support you in speaking up for what you believe.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home