Monday, August 11, 2003

Okay, none of you had any good movie ideas. At least that's what I'm assuming by the lack of comments for my last post. And so because of you all I watched two of the year's crappiest movies.

Alright, it wasn't your fault or mine...I didn't actually pick out the movies for my Saturday night moviefest. I left the decision up to my friends who were nice enough to have me over and feed me while the wife was out of town. I shouldn't complain, they fed me meatloaf and then cake.

But well, yeah, I can complain about the movies. They rented The Guru and Final Destination 2.

The Guru was a creative idea and had a little potential, but then it decided to drag on during many unfunny parts. The ending was okay, especially the subplot that gets revealed at the end (hell, the movie isn't great, but I won't spoil it for you in case you feel like wasting almost 2 hours of your life). I was also pleased at first to see the Samir character (Ajay Naidu) from Office Space in it, but his character was only half as funny as he was in Office Space.

So, I say don't waste your time on that one.

As for Final Destination 2...wow. Suckfest 2k3, that one was. Again, the premise is semi-interesting, but there were so many plot-holes that it just came out as a jumbled mess. It was like a string of gory scenes strung together by the flimsy plot. And man, did they have a bunch of teen boys in charge of the gory scenes. Every chance they got (and there were many), they made sure people were splattered, smashed, gored, sliced in half, squished, impaled, diced, etc...(read that like a Waffle House omelette menu) You get the picture.

I like scary movies, but I like scary movies more if they rely mostly on what you can't see rather than on making sure you see every innard get blown out of someone's body. There was one scene in this flick where a kid gets squished by a huge pane of glass. I swear they had a huge human-shaped balloon full of red liquid for that scene.

So, I also say don't waste your time on that one.

I did rent my own movies on Sunday. I got Goodfellas, which I really enjoyed. I also rented Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood because I just read the book. It wasn't that great. They changed the book a lot, and it also dragged in many parts. Oh, and I also got Platoon from the library on Saturday afternoon. What a heart-wrenching movie. I thought it was excellent and beautifully made.

So, I guess I was 2 for 5 on my movie weekend...which is much better than the batting averages for the Red Sox in the game I went to on Friday night (they lost, it was a pathetic game).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home