Monday, August 18, 2003

Well, I was having a good day until my computer crashed right in the middle of a nice long post I had just written. I'll try to rewrite it. Sigh.

Ah, power outages. Sure, it was in NYC, but since our company headquarters is in NYC, so are all our servers and such. Way to plan ahead! That meant in our Boston office Thursday afternoon and all day Friday, we had no email, no internet access and no access to several other important software programs we use all the time. Needless to say, Friday at work was extremely boring. But it did give me a chance to get a few other things done that I'd never had time to do before.

I called one of my friends in NYC and asked where he was when the lights went out. He lives in Brooklyn and got caught on the upper west side. So his walk home took 3.5 hours, which he said included several stops at bars along the way home. If I had to walk that far home I probably would've drank along the way, too.

Anyway, Friday a group of friends and I went to a comedy show. It was a strange venue, as the comedy club was actually the top floor of a nightclub. The place would turn into a trendy club as soon as the last comedian got off the stage. But all the comedians were funny except for one poor guy. He just couldn't get the audience to laugh at anything. I give him props just for trying, as I know it takes guts to get up there in the first place, but man, he just didn't develop his jokes very well. It was one short pointless and unfunny joke after another. He did manage a few laughs here and there, but it was pretty bad. Poor guy. But overall, the night was good.

On Saturday the wife and I went to lovely Singing Beach in Manchester-by-the-sea. I do enjoy living in New England. We're only two hours away from great mountains, less than a half-hour away from nice beaches, and we live right in a major city. It's a good deal. It's also a big change from where I grew up in flat and fairly boring Ohio. I guess I just didn't know what I was missing. Well, I did, but then I just continued crumbling potato chips for a casserole and making jello salads. Good old Midwest.

So we hung out on the beach, which is called Singing Beach because of the weird noise the sand makes when you walk on it. It screams. No, the sand actually makes a noise similar to the noise corduroy pants make when you walk. Kinda cool. And we sat on the beach and watched the waves and swam and watch seagulls attack people who let their guard down while eating big sandwiches. I never thought a seagull could fly while carrying a huge sub sandwich, but I was wrong.

After the beach, we just drove down the coast through Beverly and Salem and Lynn and then Revere, and then back into Boston. It's a beautiful drive, I recommend it.

Saturday night we watched one of my favorite movies, Wonder Boys.

Sunday, I was a heathen and stayed home from church while Amy went. I cleaned and read. I go through reading phases where I can read three books in a week, and then I won't be able to finish a book for a month. This week I read The Rum Diary by one of my favorite authors, Hunter S. Thompson. It's a great book. I also just finished Going After Cacciato, which I just picked up on a whim. I love books about war, for some odd reason. I have a slew of books about WWII and the Vietnam War. Many are fiction but more of them are those Combat books where soldiers who served in the war tell their own stories. It just fascinates me and I'm not sure why.

Also on Sunday, the wife and I planned what we're doing for our one year wedding anniversary, which is on August 31st. Yes, we had a big gay wedding last year and it was awesome. And since the anniversary hits on Labor Day weekend, we're off to Portland, Maine. I've been in New England for three years now and I've still not been to Maine. Been to the other NE states, but not Maine. So it's time. We'll tour the town and then go see a Portland Seadogs game (their minor league baseball team). It's nice when tickets to a baseball game cost only $7.00, and not the trillion dollar Red Sox games. Minor league baseball is its own thing, very fun and very different, I think.

And that's my weekend. Life is just that exciting.

"Are you being sarcastic?"
"I don't even know any more."

(points if you know what show that's from).

Nah, I am in a good mood. We have a improv show this Friday, my birthday is next week, I'm going to Maine, then later in Sept. I'm going back to Ohio (hey - o -where'd ya go O-hi-o) for a visit with the fam. So things are okay right now. Plus Amy will soon be able to officially start looking for a pastor job. She has her masters, now she just has to wait for this final big ordination meeting with the big-wigs where they have to give her the green light to circulate her profile and find a job. Ah, church politics.

And that's that. May this post not be deleted.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home