Thursday, September 11, 2003

9/11

Well, it's a day to remember and to think. I'm a regular reader of Fark, and I thought I would share something. Today on their website they posted the forum from September 11, 2001. It's pretty amazing being able to follow what people were saying and how they were reacting minute by minute on that day. So if you get a chance, read it. It's long and some parts are hard to get through, but at least read a section or two of it.

And here's my obligatory "Where were you when...?" story.

I was at home. At that point in my life, I was a freelance reporter for the news website Disaster News Network. That sounds like a morbid site, but it's not. They cover faith-based response to disasters (from hurricanes to school shootings, etc...).

At 9am I get a call from my mom. I had just gotten up and was eating breakfast, I hadn't turned the TV or radio or anything on yet. Mom says, "Can you believe what's happening?"

I, of course, was confused. "What are you talking about?"

She told me to turn on the TV. Two seconds later I get a beep from my call-waiting, and it's my editor. She says, "We've got some work to do, start writing."

Then I watched the second plane fly into the tower.

So I spent the whole day online, on the phone, with the TV on. I spent most of the next month like that -- just writing away.

Then in October, the website sent me to NYC to do some onsite coverage. I got to see Ground Zero, and talk to and meet some amazing people, hear some stories I still find hard to believe, and so much more.

I went back again in January of '02 for more coverage.

And that's that.

Make sure you get some time to reflect today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home