Wednesday, September 17, 2003

Last night was my wife's (Amy) Ordination Interview. She's currently on the road to be ordained as a minister in the United Church of Christ, Congregationalist. Anywho, the ordination interview is the last big taco before one can officially start looking for a job as a pastor. Amy finished up her Masters of Divinity in June, wrote her final ordination paper, went through the final approval last night, and they gave her the thumbs up to go look for a job.

This is huge. She's been working for this for years, now. Yes, she's only 26 -- but she's known that she wants to be a pastor since she was very young. And it's not an easy overnight process. It's amazing to see how many people have helped her along the way in this process so far. She's had to have all these letters of recommendation, she worked as a student minister for a year, and she had to bring people to all of these various meetings - last night included - to speak on her behalf.

She thinks some 100 people have helped her with the process so far, but I would wager to say it was even more than that! Some have obviously helped more than others, but so many people are involved in moving her through all the steps it takes to get that "Rev." in front of your name and a congregation to say yes, we want you to be our pastor. Now she can't officially have that "Rev." yet, she has to find a church first -- an ordainable position.

I'm so freakin' proud of her. Last night was the first one of these major meetings I got to attend. It wouldn't have made sense for me to go to the others, but since last night was the big taco, she asked permission to have me there. The committee was fine with that, just as long as I was there to listen and watch. I'm not allowed to speak on Amy's behalf. Well, I could, but that would be strange, you know?

So, this Committee on Ministry is the group of folks that Amy has these big meetings with. There are about 20 of them, and everyone sits in a huge circle. I guess it's similar to defending one's thesis, as Amy was questioned about her final ordination paper. The committee isn't there to tear someone apart, but rather make sure they have their beliefs well-grounded and that they're articulate enough to handle the tough questions. And they asked some tough questions last night. Tough to me, anyway.

I know Amy very well, obviously, but it was still amazing to watch her answer these huge theological questions before this big group of smart, important ministry folks. They all had such nice things to say about her as well, saying that she had grown so much and that she's a dynamic young person who will be an excellent pastor. It was really nice to see all the smiling and nodding, and to hear all those kind words.

Did I mention that I'm really proud? She just leaves me in awe when she talks about religion, especially handling the committee last night. I'm really impressed. She rocks.

And now starts the job hunt. Who knows where that will take us? I'll be ready as the pastor's wife, ready to start up sewing circles and make brownies and wear frumpy pastel dresses and big hats. Sweet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home