Monday, December 08, 2003

So, it snowed this weekend.

And it wasn't some little dusting of an inch or so. Nope. Try about 26" in Cambridge.

This much snow isn't bothering me that much yet. I usually enjoy the first few snows of winter. Then around mid-January or so, I start swearing and cursing it.

We got to go sledding on Saturday and that was really fun. Just getting up to our friend's house was like an arctic expedition. I felt like we should have all had ropes tied to each other.

My friend Mo had a saucer and an inner-tube. I don't remember ever getting to try out a snow-tube before, but it was far better than any other sled I've tried! We took them over to a big hill at Tufts University and went screaming down the hill in between all the college students.

Watching the students reminded me of snowy times at Ohio University, when we (just like all the Tufts students had done) would steal dining hall trays and go sledding down hills.

I took Sunday to dig out my car. Fortunately I had parked on a non-snow-emergency street, and it was kind of a sheltered area so the car wasn't completely covered.

Snow storms are a good time to meet your neighbors, too. I was digging out the car when another woman came over and asked if she could borrow my shovel when I was done. I said she was more than welcome to it, I just didn't know how long it would take me to finish. So she grabbed her car brush/scraper and started helping clear off my car. It was really nice. She eventually found a shovel before I finished, but when I was done I still went over to help dig her car out since she had helped me.

I met the people who live in the house I always park by. Although our first conversation wasn't that great, it got better. The woman first appeared from within her fenced yard to say, "Hey, next time you park there, could you pull up more so there's more room for another car to park behind you?"

Mind you, this is coming from a woman who's house has a garage, and there WAS someone parked behind me because there was plenty of room behind my car. I just stared at her and said, "Yeah, sure, I'll try that next time."

I was pretty pissy about it at first, because there I was, helping dig out the sidewalk in front by her house (I was trying to get to my car, but I was still helping her out a bit there), and she doesn't even say "hi" or "thanks" first, but rather gets snotty about how I park my car. The whole reason I started parking on that little street by her house is because my car has yet to be run into there.

So I continued digging out my car semi-angrily, but I got over it. It's not that big of a deal. Then the woman started chatting me up more as she dug out her driveway. She was very friendly, so I don't know if she realized that maybe wasn't the best way to start up a conversation with me or she just felt like chatting.

After I got done digging out my car and helping the other woman with her SUV (I love seeing those covered and stuck in the snow), I went over and helped the neighbor lady with her driveway for a little while.

And then this morning it's back to work. I almost fell down a bunch of times on the walk to the bus stop, and the bus stop was a huge snow drift with a sign sticking out of it.

Hooray for New England winters.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home