Monday, December 01, 2003

Turkey is good, break-ins are bad

So my Thanksgiving was great. I got to leave work a little early last Wednesday. Then we drove up to a friend's place in New Hampshire and had a great time.

Amy had to be back to work on Friday, so we left Thursday night.

Friday was fun until 4pm, when Amy and I got back home from shopping and work. Our apartment had been broken into. They got ours and our neighbor's place, and man -- did they kick the hell out of our doors. Our lock was clean on the floor with shards of our door frame laying around it.

Say bye-bye to the following for me:
-my laptop
-my DVDs
-my digital camera
-my regular APS camera
-my backpack

Say bye-bye to the following for Amy:
-her laptop
-her camera
-her cup full of pocket change

Break-ins suck huge ass, to put it mildly. This has happened to me before. I've lived in Cambridge for bour 2.5 years and have had my apartment broken into twice. Once when we lived in Central Square, and now at our place outside of Harvard Square.

It is a feeling I did not want to experience again. The stages go from shock to anger to shock to huge anger to sadness, etc... All over and over again. You sit there and "what if?" yourself to death, too. You feel violated because someone has been through all of your stuff. Our bed was covered in stuff that threw all over it, they cleared off the tops of our dressers and threw it all on the bed to look through it.

There are moments when you laugh at it. I thought, "Damn! That's the second time they didn't steal my shitty stereo! For God's sake! Take the frickin' crappy ass stereo!"

There are moments when you cry, like this morning when I reached for my backpack and it wasn't there. I hadn't realized it til then, and it was just one more thing.

There are moments when you get really and cry, like when my renter's insurance folks told me they won't cover Amy's losses because she's not on my policy, and I thought she was covered.

Yes, I'm very happy neither Amy and I were in the apartment when this happened. Yes, I know it's just stuff. But I'm still very pissed off and sad, all at the same time.

In fact, I'm so upset about all of it that I don't feel like writing any more about it right now. I just thought I'd throw an update out for now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home