Tuesday, March 02, 2004

I'm a Whale Counter

While reading a news article today, I stumbled upon one of the longest event titles I've ever seen:

"The Eighth Annual Hawaiian Islands Humpback Whale National Marine Sanctuary Ocean Count"

I think I'd like one of their official t-shirts.

What if you were the director of that event? Does that make any journalist's interview with you more trying? Any time someone asks you what you do -- would you find yourself at first attempting to rattle off your whole title -- but then just mumbling out a few words about counting whales instead of throwing that out there?

"What do I do? Well, I'm the Organizing Director of the Eighth Annual Hawaiian Islands Humpback Whale National Marine Sanctuary Ocean Count. Repeat that? I'm the Organizing Director of the Eighth Annual Hawaiian -- aw, screw it -- I fricking count whales, okay? And this year is the eighth time I'll do it. I fricking count fricking whales every year. That's right. A fricking whale counter. That's me."

I guess in that example I'm just assuming that this job holder would have a short temper. Maybe whomever would take that job would have lots of patience anyway. I mean, they would be counting whales. That takes patience, I would think. Whales don't just line up for you when you hold up a megaphone and yell out, "Hello good whales of the ocean area around the Hawaiian Islands -- I'm now doing my annual count of you all -- so please form an orderly line by my boat and we'll get on with it."

In any case, I'd like to see if there are any longer event titles out there. So, if you find one, please share.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home