Wednesday, March 17, 2004

Moving

I would compare moving to being stuck in a snowglobe. Take everything you own, take all the little details you have to worry about, etc... and put it all into a small enclosed area. Then, shake it up.

When it looks like it's starting to settle, you'll discover that the van you rented is too small to fit all your belongings. This equals a good shake of the snowglobe.

When it looks like it's starting to settle, it will snow like a mofo on your drive to your new place. This equals another good shake of the snowglobe.

When it looks like it's starting to settle, your dear pet fish will die en route to your place. This equals another good shake of the snowglobe.

When it looks like it's starting to settle, also en route to you new place, you will receive phone call from your irate former landlord who will accuse you of leaving town and breaking your lease even though he's known for two months. He will threaten to send his lawyers after you. This equals another good shake of the snowglobe.

When it looks like it's starting to settle, you will discover that your new place comes with neato six-legged roommates. This equals another good shake of the snowglobe (and now the snowglobe will always be faintly scented with Raid).

Okay, I'm actually really used to moving. I'm a military brat, my family used to move every four years. Then once I got into college, I moved at least once each year, every year, up to the present. I know what a hassle it can be. Yet I also know that moving can be fun. It's a chance to go through your belongings each year and get rid of what you don't need. It's a chance to get a know a new place and new people.

All that moving while I grew up made me pretty adaptable.

I think I made my most recent move (last week from Boston to Maryland) sound worse than it was. Well, the actual driving part of the move did suck. All of our stuff didn't fit in the van, my fish did die during the trip (RIP fishstick), and my landlord did call us up to scream and yell even though we had only left three hours before-hand and he'd known that we were moving for over two months.

When your life is all packed up into one ten foot van (with some of it having to be left behind with friends because your wife thought a ten foot van would fit all your stuff) -- you tend to worry more and think that everything and everyone is out to get you. It makes you more vulnerable. You don't have your own space for a short period of time. You look and feel exhausted because you are exhausted. People call it "pulling up your roots" for exactly that reason. It is like trying to pull a huge tree out of the ground without damaging it too much, transporting it carefully, and then trying to get it to fit in and grow well in an entirely new place.

Anyway, our new apartment is really great. It's HUGE and much cheaper compared to where the wife and I lived in Boston. It's in a fantastic part of Maryland. I absolutely love my new job because I've returned to what I'm at good at and to what I'm supposed to be doing with my life: writing.

Sure, we've found some extra little six-legged roommates in the new place, but the maintenance folks are spraying tomorrow. I've lived in places with bugs before -- much larger bugs than the ones we have frequenting our kitchen. Hell, the roaches I had at my rented house in college could've kicked us out if they'd wanted to, they were that big. We had to give them their own shelf in the fridge just to appease them. They also requested the TV every Thursday night so they could watch 'Friends.' We didn't argue.

Sure, the ceiling of our apartment/floor of the upstairs' neighbor's apartment makes it sound like there are 30 elephants living upstairs -- but I've lived in places by loud stuff before. Growing up I lived by train tracks and an airport. In Lowell I lived downstairs from a freakin' drug dealer (who also served as our maintenance man). I can handle what this apartment throws at me. And if a few extra little roomies who will be zapped tomorrow and a squeaky floor upstairs is all there is right now, then I think I'm doing pretty darn well.

Besides, all this stuff does is give more more humorous things to write about -- which I greatly appreciate.

Stories coming soon:
-Packing a Budget van is like playing Tetris
-The saddest dinner ever at a Friendly's
-Things you learn about your apartment after you sign the lease
-Descriptions of me hugging various home appliances
-My first trip to an Ikea
-How to scare a cockroach

Stay tuned...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home