Thursday, October 21, 2004

Let's go Red Sox!

Wow, the guys really did it last night. They beat the Yankees and they're going to the World Series. I'm sure Amy and I woke the neighbors up by jumping around and yelling at midnite when the Sox won game 7. Later, we went outside to flip some cars over and light things on fire.

I am a Red Sox fan. My brother called me a pseudo-fan, but I think I can be listed as a fan. I would not call myself a hardcore Red Sox fan because I believe that title is saved for those folks who have cheered for the Sox for their entire lives.

The reason I like the Red Sox so much is because of the time I spent in Boston. Sure I grew up in Ohio, but I never really took much of an interest in baseball growing up. I was more of a football fan. And since I grew up in Dayton, there really wasn't a nearby team for me to become absorbed in. But that didn't stop my brother, who loves the Cincinnati Reds. He is what I would call a hardcore fan. Everything in his apartment is covered in Cincinnati Reds' paraphernalia -- from posters to bobbleheads to signed baseballs to pillows and so much more. It's insane.

Anyway, when I moved to Boston back in 2000, I was finally living in a city with a team. The friends I made in Boston were all real Sox fans. So I would watch the games with them, and I became very attached. Then later I got a job right by Fenway Park in downtown Boston. It's hard not to start loving a team when they're all you hear about and you're always watching their games with friends.

So I became a Red Sox fan. Call me a bandwagon fan if you want, but I did not start liking the Sox because they were doing so well. I mean, come on, if I were really a bandwagon fan - wouldn't I pick a team that I knew would always win? I see a lot of bandwagon Yankees' fans out there that are like that. They only like them because they win all the time.

Maybe deep down I'm drawn to the Sox because I'm used to having a favorite team let me down all the time. I mean, I am a dedicated Cincinnati Bengals fan. Yes, I can admit it. Although, at least the Red Sox make it to the playoffs here and there. The Bengals....not so much.

So I love the Sox. I can name the players and their positions. I know the line-up, I have favorite players (Go Trot!), and I was sad to see Nomar go. I've watched several games in Fenway Park. I watch their games on TV whenever they're on -- which unfortunately isn't too frequent anymore since I'm now down in Maryland.

And I love the die-hard Red Sox fans. Have you watched the fans in Fenway during games -- especially during playoff games vs. the Yankees? You can see the emotion on their faces, hands are held, eyes are shut, some heads are bowed as the fan watches through clenched fingers. That's true emotion. People are frickin' sacrificing chickens to get these guys to win. These folks put up with high blood pressure and heart attacks just about every season. I just don't see that same kind of emotion when they pan the Yanks' fans in the stands at Yankees Stadium.

So, way to do it, Sox! Way to shut the Yankees' fans up for once. Now, bring on the World Series.

2 Comments:

Blogger Eric M said...

Hmm, I called you a pseudo fan? Don't remember that but it was probably in reference that you've only had to endure 1 year or suffering, as opposed to the 86 for the rest of the Sox fans.

that said, Aaron F'ing Boone, surely christened you last year. I see no reason to call you a psuedo fan.

we went to a sports bar after our game tonight to watch the last 4 innings. Was fun to watch the facial expressions on him. I was telling Ben to watch this guy's breathing, eyes etc. I knew even an 8-1 lead and a 10-3 lead offered him litle comfort.

Not sure I will like Sox fans once they win. They'll be unbearable. That said, it's worth it to stop hearing moron announcers reference some stupid, non-existant curse in the hopes of heightening drama.

I really don't know who to root for now. It was basically whoever was playing the Yanks. Now they're gone.

Guess Derek Jeter isn't Jesus Christ.

Bro

October 21, 2004 12:59 PM  
Blogger H said...

Ah yes, I know the pain of being a Bengals fan. It gives me no right to make fun of other teams, because then people ask me who I like. And then I just sigh. But I believe, Marvin can do it. One of these decades.....

I've only recently been able to say good things about Jerry Rice -- even though he's not even a 49er anymore!

And Kristen, I'll actually be at the Monday Night Football game to see the Bengals play the Broncos! Woohoo!

October 21, 2004 1:43 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home