Wednesday, November 03, 2004

Sigh

Well, I'm a tad down today due to the election's results. I'm not shocked by the results, though. I am glad that Kerry took the noble and respectful way out rather than dragging this out into months of recounts and lawsuits. And to President Bush, I hope he remembers that many people voted for him because they considered him the "lesser of two evils." This is a very divided country.

What saddens me is how resoundingly all the anti-gay marriage amendments passed. I believe American families took a major blow today because of that, because of people wanting to write discrimination into their state constitutions. Equal rights are not special rights.

And it's one thing to say "no gay marriages" or "marriage shall be defined as the union of one man and one woman" -- but it is an entirely different thing to go after all civil contracts between couples. It is mean-spirited, to say the least.

While it depresses me, I'm not one of those whiny folks who will dwell on the loss. I'm staying right here to be a thorn in the side of the bigots. I may be sad for a day, but I'm not down for the count. Neither is the gay rights movement. We will keep fighting, and the people fighting to keep equal rights away from gays will lose.

And for you all you whiny liberals and Democrats who are moaning on and on about how you're just going to move to Canada now, do it. We don't want you here if you're not willing to take a look at the Democratic party and liberal ideals and figure out what the hell is wrong with the Democrats. Maybe instead of whining about Nader or the Greens and how they are stealing votes you should take a look at why voters are running from the Democratic party in droves. Stop blaming others and look at yourselves. Oh, be aware, apparently the line to get into Canada is kind of long.

To the Republicans, I urge you to remember your true conservative ideals. Whatever happened to smaller government and smaller deficits and staying the heck out of people's bedrooms? Hold your leaders accountable. To the right-wing fundamentalist "Christian" commandos, try to remember that little phrase about the separation of church and state. Stop trying to have your religious beliefs made into law.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go home and continue to destroy the sanctity of marriage by having a nice dinner with my wife. Afterwards, we might play Scrabble. That's right, it's straight to Hell with us!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home