Monday, February 21, 2005

RIP Dr. Gonzo

This morning while eating my waffle and watching TV, I heard the news. Hunter S. Thompson is dead.

To an extent, I am crushed. That's probably being fairly overdramatic, but it does make me sad. Thompson is one of my favorite authors. It may be cliche, but "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas" is one of my favorite books ever. I've read it probably 50 times, and I still laugh out loud each time. I've also read his novel "The Rum Diary" a ton of times because it's excellent.

I read Thompson's more current stories and articles here and there, but it's his older stuff that I stuck to. "Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail '72" is amazing, and "Hell's Angels" is also just as interesting.

You may not agree with his politics, but at least acknowledge his contributions to journalism and literature in general.

Suicide is a horrible thing, but I hope Thompson has found some peace now. I hope Dr. Gonzo is happily driving the Great Red Shark around somewhere in the afterlife.

3 Comments:

Blogger a c said...

It was all over NPR today. They had some old clips of him reading his stuff. Pretty good.

February 21, 2005 9:26 PM  
Blogger Tara said...

where is installment 3 of Meteorology 101? loyal followers are becoming impatient....and bored at work.

February 23, 2005 2:03 PM  
Blogger a c said...

According to the IMDB, his ashes are going to be fired at his estate from a cannon, "in keeping with his final wishes."

February 24, 2005 12:27 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home