Monday, April 18, 2005

Double-click

Two Saturdays ago I started teaching a very basic computer course to senior citizens at a community center in Baltimore. The class is made up of 11 elderly women, and they are awesome.

This is my first time ever teaching an actual course, let alone teaching senior citizens. I've taught one-time classes to elementary school students. And that wasn't about computers -- it was about the water cycle and clouds while I was spending a year in AmeriCorps. So, learning how to prepare some curriculum and lesson plans is interesting.

But, I am having a great time, and the ladies are very nice to me. I made sure to tell them in our first class that if I ever talk to fast, to just speak up and tell me to slow down. I have a tendency to use 1 million words/minute when I'm nervous.

And also, when I say a "basic" computer course, I mean it. Well, this isn't the basic basic class that the community center offers, but it's the next level up. I'm teaching them about how to navigate through Windows, use the start menu, use Windows explorer, create folders, use Word, and use email and the internet.

It is challenging to take these lessons to their most basic. I mean, I've been using computers since I was a kid, so I'm very used to it all. Most of these ladies either have never used a computer before (except in the first four-course class). So, some are able to grasp how to double-click on something, and others aren't. Some are able to easily move the mouse around and open files as I guide them. Others have a more challenging time. I've learned a lot about being able to pace a class that has many varied levels of computer experience in it.

The ladies are so great. They stop me if they don't understand something, and the're making me big-headed with all their nice compliments. Think of spending almost two hours every Saturday in a room with 11 grandma's, and you've got my class. I do my best to make the class fun, and I crack jokes here and there to keep it lively. When I make them type up a document, I'll tell them they can write about anything -- from how much they can't stand the Yankees, to how much hot air I fill the classroom up with. They love learning, so I try to throw in some interesting facts as I go along as well. They seemed fascinated that computer experts can still go into your computer and find something even if you delete it, so I jokingly warned them that if they ever make something on their computer that they don't want anyone else to see, they'd better delete it good.

And two weeks in a row now, as I've been explaining something, this one row of ladies will be whispering, "Oh, she is so patient, and smart!" Except it's old-lady whispering. Which isn't whispering, but more like yelling. Plus, the classroom is really small, so I'm only standing about two feet from them while they're "whispering,"

So that makes me smile -- as they could be "whispering" much worse about me. Their weekly evaluations forms are just as kind, with them saying things like "I love her!" and "The teacher is very patient! I am learning a lot!"

I'm sure more good stories will come from this course as the weeks pass.

In other news, last week was the busiest week I've had in some time. I had my meteorology course, my Mom and Dad were in town, I spoke at a United Church of Christ conference dinner, I taught my computer class, had an improv comedy show on Saturday night, and then spent all day yesterday as a volunteering renovating a home in Baltimore. Phew! I'm looking forward to taking a break tonight.....with my meteorology homework.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Does your Meteorology homework include regaling us with Tales of Joe?

April 18, 2005 4:04 PM  
Blogger H said...

Yes, but he's not done much in the past few weeks besides trying to mooch off my homework.

April 18, 2005 4:41 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home