Wednesday, May 11, 2005

Fridge decoration

I am currently in a small battle with my doctor over the CT scan results. Last Friday when they were finished pushing me back and forth through the giant circle that is the CAT scan machine, the nurse said, "These results will be read today and your doctor will call you."

Cool, that's nice and fast, I thought. So I waited til around 4pm for my doctor to call, but he didn't. I called his office, left a message, then waited the weekend.

On Monday morning I called again, and the doctor said, "I already gave you the results for this a month ago, it was fine."

"Um, I don't want the results for my endoscopy, I want the results for my CT scan that was done on Friday," I replied.

He then said that he hadn't received any results yet, but that he would call when they came in.

It's now Wednesday afternoon, so I called again just to check in. Some might say I'm being annoying. I understand that I am not a priority to my doctor, and that's fine for the most part - but I am a priority to myself. I kind of consider the results of a CT scan to be important, so I felt fully justified in calling back today to get an update.

The secretary says nothing is in yet, and added a "didn't we say we'd call you when they came in?"

I said yes, that I wasn't mad at anyone - but didn't anyone else find it odd that even though the nurse said I'd get the results last Friday, no one has seen them? I wondered if someone should call the hospital (me or the doctor) to find out what the hold-up is.

Then she tossed out the best quote from the conversation:

"Why do you want the results so much - are you worried?"

No, I'm not worried at all, I just really wanted to get a CT scan of my innards for fun and for home decor purposes. Sears doesn't have a that type of offer in their family portrait studio deals, so I went to the county hospital. And also, I can't seem to find any delicious banana-barium smoothies at my local grocer, so I scheduled a CT scan.

YES, I'M CONCERNED. What the heck?

I just said all that in my head, though. Again, I wasn't mean with the secretary. I'm not mad at anyone, just concerned about where the results are at this point. A simple, "We called the hospital, the results won't be in until this Friday" would be fine. It seems like no one is taking the effort to find out where the results are.

And so, I wait.

2 Comments:

Blogger amberance said...

H-town, that's not cool at all. If they aren't going to call the hospital I think you should. It's entirely possible the hospital forgot to call the doctor's office. There's a nursing shortage on you know. Anyway, prayers.

May 11, 2005 2:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

She asked why you wanted your tests? She asked if you were worried? She ought to be fired.

May 16, 2005 5:54 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home