Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Reel Big Fish

Click here to go "Holy freakin' crap."

My friends, that fish weighs just slightly more than I do. Let's not get into discussions of how thin I am, that is not the point.

This is the point:

A man, gently fishing the Mississippi River in Illinois, reeled in something that -- in terms of weight -- would be like having me on the end of his fishing hook.

If that does not remind you (or me, in this case) of your size in comparison with some of the other creatures on this great green Earth, not many other things will.

Look at the picture of that damn fish. Look at it. The fish even dragged the boat at one point during their 1/2-hour struggle. Had I been in that fisherman's place, the fish would have won that battle. It outweighs me by several pounds.

If you were on that boat with me, you'd have glanced to see me on the boat one minute, and the next second I would have disappeared as Moby Catfish pulled me in, leaving only my socks and shoes on the deck where I had been standing.

And if I had managed to get the other boat riders' attention before it dragged me in, then it would've been a group of skinny people holding onto the pole with me -- because most of my friends and close acquaintances who would ever go fishing with me are fairly close in size to me. So there we'd be, an army of the skinny vs. a 124lb catfish.

I'll stick with my four ounce Blue Gills, thank you very much.

5 Comments:

Blogger Tara said...

a fish the size of a sixth grader, indeed.

May 25, 2005 2:20 PM  
Blogger Zwieblein said...

That was terrifying.

May 26, 2005 10:08 AM  
Blogger Amy Sens said...

And he's just holding it like it's a teddy bear or something.

Mmmmmm..... catfish.

May 26, 2005 3:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i heard it died on the way to an aquarium. bummer. that sucker was huge.

shannon

May 26, 2005 4:02 PM  
Blogger H said...

Saw the fisherman on The Today Show this morning, and he had the biggest smile ever. This might be the proudest moment in his life. Very cool.

May 26, 2005 4:51 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home