Thursday, May 05, 2005

Siberia, Siberia, when I get that feelin'

I only have one more meterology class left before our big bad final exam on May 17th. That fact is bittersweet, as I've learned quite a bit and have enjoyed it for the most part, but then again it'll be nice to have my Tuesday evenings free again.

In any case, the nutty professor did not fail us this past Tuesday night during his lecture. He made to throw in enough odd phrases to make us all giggle.

My favorite for the night came when he was reading his own notes off the computer screen projected before us. He was talking about monsoons and a weather pattern that forms over Siberia when he said, "Siberia is in....the Asian part of.....of the continent of Asia."

I'm sorry, what? The whole class busted up, and he turned around to ask what we were laughing about. Apparently he had been thinking whilst trying to read and didn't even realize what he said. We repeated it for him, and he rolled his eyes and said, "Hmm, I was thinking while talking, not a good idea."

I then asked him if that fact about Siberia was going to be on the final, you know - would he draw a map and ask us to pinpoint the Asian location of Siberia? He laughed.

While I don't always learn an excessive amount from the prof's lectures, he is usually entertaining. At the end of class last week, he was explaining why Hadley Cells do not in fact stretch across entire hemispheres. To illustrate why, he lit up a cigarette and place it on the lectern so we could watch the smoke. It illustrated the point well. The class ended five minutes later, and we left him figuring out just how to properly extinguish a cigarette. One gal offered her spent water bottle to put it out with, and he said, "Nah, I'll just throw it in the trash can."

I was sure that Wednesday morning I'd be reading about how the local community college burnt down and wondering if I'd have to testify against my meteorology prof in court at some near point in the future.

Obviously the college was still there when I showed up this week, but when the prof brought up the cigarette experiment this time, he said, "Well, I don't need to show you that again...I almost burnt up the trash can last week."

But the prof is not the only silly nerd in the class. During the five minute class break this week, I grabbed a copy of the Fall 2005 class schedule to see what other classes I may be interested in taking. As I sat there reading through it, one of the gals in the class said to me, "Looking for another geeky class to take next fall?" I laughed and said that I might be. She said geology was an interesting course. Not so sure I'm going to sign up for that, though.

3 Comments:

Blogger Zwieblein said...

Hey, geology actually ended up being a bizarre riot in college; our 70-something instructor would take us on field trips wearing a "Cap'n Geo" hat and making ample use of a bullhorn. Plus, we got to touch petrified dinosaur poop one time.

May 05, 2005 12:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, but Heather, you passed up the obvious pun:
Geology ROCKS!

May 05, 2005 6:00 PM  
Blogger amberance said...

Concur. I loved geology. One of my favorite classes.

May 06, 2005 5:12 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home