Wednesday, June 29, 2005

The Great Fishing Tournament, pt. 2

Amy and I spent this past weekend in beautiful Dayton, Ohio, visiting my mom, dad, brother, cousin, cousin's hubby, aunt, and uncle. We had a fantastic and busy time.

Before I got home, Eric asked if I wanted to go fishing Saturday morning at 6am. That sounded painful, but fishing is worth getting up early. So I said yup, let's do it.

6am Saturday rolls around and I wake up to an alarm clock that sounds like someone ran into my room slamming pots and pans together. The only extra alarm clocks my mom had fit into her love of nostalgia, and were those loud two-bell clangers that could wake the dead. I know this because Amy actually woke up when it went off. She said she was afraid the house was on fire.

Anyway, Amy doesn't believe in getting out of bed before 10am on the weekends, so she sat out this early round of fishing. Don't worry, she joined in later that day, which I'll get to later in this post.

This is also the part where I won't mention that Eric didn't show up until 7am, swearing that he left a message on my cell phone. Which he knows hardly gets any reception at our parents' house. (wink, wink)

Anyway, we head down to our neighbor's pond and start up the competition for the day. We both cast a few times as Eric decides to call out the rules for the day.

"Three points for the first fish reeled in today, two for every fish after, and then three for the biggest fish of the day...."

I'm not paying attention to my line but rather am looking at him across the pond as he calls out the rules. When I look back at my line, it's moving, and I then reel in a fish. Eric is dumbfounded - he's not even done calling out the rules and I've already pulled in a fish. It was a nice little bass that I was so excited about that it avoided any camera time. We'd thrown it back in before remembering that I'd brought my camera.

Wouldn't that just be my luck? That was the only fish I caught all day, and Eric soon started reeling in fish after fish. The pictures are in the posts below.

The only other things I caught that day were a clam and several tree limbs. Eric caught a clam, too, but even that was bigger than the clam I caught. I could not win. So to get even, I lost two of Eric's lures during the day when my line got snagged.

My relatives arrived later that day, and Amy and our cousin's hubby Carlos joined us for an evening round of fishing. Actually, most of the family joined in that evening to at least watch. Eric and Carlos caught a few fish, and then Amy grabbed a pole and went on her silent way to fish at the other end of the pond. After a little while of me still not catching anything but weeds, I hear Amy say, "Oh hey, I think I got one."

I yell that out to the rest of the family, who show a little interest but mostly stay in place. I headed over to Amy's spot on the bank and see that she is really struggling with something on the line, but she's not really that excited.

"Are you sure it's not a giant tree limb?" I asked snidely, still bitter at my luck during the day.

"Tree limbs don't move like this," she replies calmly. I look at the line and it's really moving. Then suddenly, we see what's on the end.

It is the biggest fish I have ever seen that was either not on a television show or in an aquarium. Seriously, Amy is reeling in Moby Dick. The Great White Whale. Shamu. Willy. Jaws.

Her fishing pole is bent so far in half I cannot believe it's not breaking. A giant catfish is flopping around in the water, and she's not sure how to reel it in any further without snapping the pole or the line. I tell Amy to just keep backing up so she can at least drag it onto the shore. With one final drag and pull, the giant catfish flops onto the shore.

"HOLY CRAP!" I yell,. and the rest of the family runs over. Amy is still calm and stoic while the rest of us jump up and down at the 8lb, 1.5 foot catfish she has just pulled in using a cheap little Zebco pole.

We do have a photo of it, but it's on my cousin's camera. As soon as she emails it to me, I will post it. It is unbelievable. Amy won at fishing for the rest of the year. Hell, for the rest of her life. There's no reason for her to fish anymore. She can retire happily and know that six other people saw her pull in a catfish that big enough to feed the citizens of a small country. Unbelievable.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who has time to write paragraphs every day! I leave for africa july 12th- I need an address to send a postcard- is this correct?

Heather Moyer
300 International Cir
Cockeysville, MD 21030-1300

Is Cockeysville a real place? Anyone else you want me to send African mail to- provide me postal info :)

June 30, 2005 11:57 AM  
Blogger H said...

That's not my address - I just sent you an email with the right address.

But yes, Cockeysville does exist. Try to say that without giggling. ;)

June 30, 2005 3:14 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home