Thursday, June 30, 2005


Things could always be worse

I've had better mornings than today's. I woke up early this morning to feed an excessively annoying member of my family who shall remain nameless but is pictured at the left.

I walked into the restroom first, and stepped right into a giant puddle of water that the floormat was soaking in. I worried that our toilet overflowed that night, but then I noticed that the toilet seat cover was soaked as well. Then I looked up and saw the problem. Something upstairs overflowed and the ceiling was all bubbly and soggy from the water. The ceiling and fan were still dripping. Grossed out, I quickly called emergency maintenance and told them about it.

Then I set about cleaning it all up. Fortunately, it did not smell or have any definite signs that the upstairs neighbors' toilet had overflowed. I threw the toilet seat cover and floormat into the wash and then set about mopping up the mess. I scrubbed the floor and toilet. I left the toilet seat up so that the bowl could catch the remaining drops that kept falling from the ceiling.

Once the washing machine was done, I checked on the floormat and seat cover. The floormat was shredded and pieces of its rubber lining were stuck all over the inside of the washing machine.

I picked all the pieces out that I could and then went on to get ready for work. The bathroom was now nice and clean again, but our so-called emergency maintenance people had still not called or shown up in the 1+hour timeframe since I called them.

Work was beckoning, so I ran back into the bathroom one last time to put on deodorant. I flipped open the deodorant stick lid and whoops, out popped the actual deodorant stick....which then landed right in the toilet.

I stood in front of the toilet bowl and sighed loudly. Then I laughed.

I'm sticking to the mantra I've picked up in the past year: Things could always be worse.

2 Comments:

Blogger Zwieblein said...

Yeah, and at least you're industrious; had it been up to me, that mess would've been left for someone else. (I'm an eminently responsible individual.) Here's fortitude for the rest of your day!

July 01, 2005 9:43 AM  
Blogger junebee said...

For more on excessively annoying family members, see http://zubegirl.blogspot.com
post named "Quit it or I'll have me some cat for breakfast."

Sorry about the leak. Did the emergency maintenance people ever show up?

July 01, 2005 7:47 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home