Monday, July 11, 2005



















Still Here


I am still around, as I was not stuck in Florida for the hurricane. I had scheduled my flight just right, leaving Thursday afternoon before anything got too crazy down there. The photos above are of the frogs that hung out on my hotel room window each morning in Ft. Myers.

Anyway, looks like I'll be heading back sometime next week now that Hurricane Dennis has moved through. Oh, and don't believe your mainstream media, folks: the Florida panhandle and Alabama did not "dodge the bullet" on this one.

Sure, the damage was not as widespread as it was during Hurricane Ivan last year, but Dennis still did a number on the region -- especially for the many, many people who had still not yet recovered, repaired, or rebuilt from last year. So, keep that in mind before thinking that Category 3 hurricane can just come ashore and not do any serious damage.

Anyway...my weekend was quite busy. I spent most of Saturday in improv workshops and then had a nice dinner with the wife and Tara. Tara has the awesomest house in Washington, DC, and we haven't told her yet, but Amy and I are going to secretly move in when she's not around.

Sunday was spent playing a softball doubleheader where we actually won a game! It was amazing. The team we're on is just about the worst in the league, yet we won the first of the two games. I played outfield for the first game and really enjoyed it. I forgot how much fun playing a position other than pitcher was. I even caught two fly balls.

For the second game we were back to our usual hijinks of poor fielding and inconsistent hitting. I at least pitched well and hit much better for this game. I even had the chance to slide into second base, but was called out by the umpire who was not at all in a good position to tell if I was safe or not. When she called me out, my whole team booed and even the other team's players looked surprised. Oh well, the umpires for each game are actually players from other teams and not total professionals with years of umping experience. Even the homeplate ump was odd, his strike zone was constantly changing and I had to try to hit the right place at the right time. I compared it to the carnival game where you have to shoot those moving ducks.

And so, alas, we lost.

This week will be just as busy for me. I'm off to NYC tomorrow for a work trip. And then I have improv stuff for the remainder of the week. Phew! I need a vacation!

I'm sorry I have nothing more witty or humorous to share. I have failed you, readers. Please forgive me. I hope the frog pictures make up for it.

3 Comments:

Blogger a c said...

they do.

July 11, 2005 7:12 PM  
Blogger Kerry said...

Hear, hear. Frogs rule. Especially frogs on windows.

July 12, 2005 1:18 AM  
Blogger Amy Sens said...

I can't wait 'til we move into Tara's place!

July 12, 2005 9:14 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home