Thursday, August 18, 2005

I still heart NYC.

If you had told me a year or more ago that I would be spending this past Tuesday evening in the Polish Consulate in New York City, I don't think I would've believed you. But there I was in the Polish Consulate Tuesday evening for a work-related event.

When I walked in I was met by security and had to get my name checked off a list. Then these two nice guys spoke to me entirely in Polish as they searched my bags. They were smiling and just chatting away with me, apparently unaware that the only thing I can say in Polish is "thank you." So I simply used the universal language of smiling at them while nodding. Who knows what they may have been saying and what I was nodding yes to. Perhaps I told them it was okay to take money from my bag or steal my camera or yes, indeed, I am an unattractive gal and who would ever marry me? Ha ha!

Somehow I'm guessing it was more humane than that. Anyway, they were done quickly and sent me up the "Gone With The Wind" style staircase to the event. Wow, what a consulate. Everything was wrapped in gold, the walls were covered in paintings and chandeliers hung from the ceilings of each room.

I went into the main room and was quickly told to move to the room where the food and drink was so I could mingle. At least that's what I think he said, because again, he was speaking entirely in Polish. Fortunately I met my contacts in the food room and they spoke to me entirely in English.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining about everyone speaking entirely in Polish. It makes sense, as technically we were on Polish soil and I'm pretty sure most Polish people speak Polish. They sure did when I was in Poland a few years ago. So why not speak Polish at the Polish Consulate, too?

Anyway, after a bit a choir came in to sing some songs, and then was joined by a children's choir. It all sounded very nice and I smiled and nodded again as the choir director spoke to the audience in Polish. When they laughed, I laughed. Then the children's choir sang what is apparently a common sing-along song in Poland, because everyone sang along except me and my cohorts.

But anyway, it was a lovely evening and made me think I should be more truer to my Polish heritage and maybe learn a little more of the language.

I love New York City. The more often I go, the more I love it. There is always something to do and see. I like going for an early walk because things are happening, but it's not the typical crazy mid-day NYC I often see.

This time I got to take more cabs than I normally do, which is always a blast. Don't ask me why taking my life into my own hands is a blast - perhaps holding on for dear life and sliding around the back seat as the cabbie drives through narrow streets at 400mph is a thrill one should seek out every once in a while.

I also love how you can signal a NYC cab by merely making eye contact. I did this twice while in town and both times it cracked me up. I was walking somewhere and thought, "Hmm, this is longer than I thought it'd be," and then I'd look and find a cabbie just staring at me while pointing at his car. It's like they're telepathic.

And now I'm back again. I'm excited about the NYC trip I'm taking for the Sept. 11 anniversary. For once I'll be able to stay longer than one day and cover more than just sitting through one meeting.

Plus my friend Matt always finds some sort of interesting place for us to go so we stay up until 3 or 4 in the morning.

And there's my rambling about NYC.

4 Comments:

Blogger junebee said...

Cool! How many people can blog about visiting the Polish consulate? BTW, how was the food?

August 18, 2005 12:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My bio-contributer was a Pole; he and his parents were fluent in Polish and I never understood a word they were saying (which is why I think they chose to speak their native tongue, so they could talk smack about my crazy mother). I never really explored that side of my heritage; the Italians had better food, and as you know, food is my drug of choice baby! Hrmmm... did they serve Polish food? If so, how was it? What was it? Details damn you!

August 19, 2005 8:02 AM  
Blogger H said...

I don't think I know of any of Archie Bunker's Polish jokes. But I've heard plenty of Polish jokes in my time. It doesn't offend me.

As for the food, I didn't eat much of it because I had just hogged down a delicious hoagie from the Philly amtrak station. I didn't know they would feed us at the Consulate.

They did, of course, have lox and cream cheese, and some other ham-wrapped items. Most people were dress very fancily, and then before the event began, they had this woman play piano. Except no one really listened to her. I felt bad because everyone was talking amongst themselves and she was just trying to play something nice. Oh well.

August 19, 2005 10:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I *heart* NYC too. :) Whenever I am there, I have this overwhelming feeling that anything is possible. I would love to live there for a summer (on somoene else's dime of course!)

August 19, 2005 12:10 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home