Sunday, September 25, 2005

Off to the South

I am off to Mississippi and Louisiana for work this week, so I'm allowed to not post as much. That's my excuse.

Anywho, I felt bad for our receptionist last week, it's took her two solid days to find me a place to stay while I'm down there. It's insane how every available hotel room is booked. I'm flying into Jackson, but I'm staying at a volunteer housing facility in Gulf Breeze, Florida - which is south of Pensacola. Yup, lot of driving to be had this week.

But, I'm excited, I love doing my job and I hope I'll do it well this week.

Oh, the story I wanted to share was about finding me housing down there. We had employed the help of some of the website's partner agencies to find me somewhere. After we'd found the place in Gulf Breeze, one of the agencies called to say he'd found some available space in a state park in central Mississippi. Apparently they had cabins available. I"m glad we'd found the Florida place because I can't imagine trying to do my job from a cabin in a state park. My editor and I then joked for a while about how I'd cope, imagining that the cabins would just be one room each with some bunk beds, one lone lightbulb hanging from the ceiling and a toilet down the dirt road in some building. I'd have to call in my stories and be interrupted.

"Hi, here's my story - this week in Jackson people are -- AAAAAHHH!!! BEARS!! THERE'S A BEAR OUTSIDE MY DOOR!! AAAHHH!!"

Or maybe:

"Okay, here's the story - today in Gulfport - AAAHHH, THERE'S A SPIDER ON MY BED!! KILL IT!! SOMEONE COME IN HERE AND KILL IT!!! OH SHIT - NOW THERE'S A BEAR TRYING TO OPEN MY DOOR!!! AAAAHHH! SONUVA--- BEES! BEES! THEY'RE EVERYWHERE!!!"

Yeah, I'm a camping wuss.

I'll update this week as I can.

4 Comments:

Blogger junebee said...

And don't forget to look for UFOs in Gulf Breeze.

September 25, 2005 9:28 PM  
Blogger H said...

There are UFOs in Gulf Breeze? I need an explanation!

September 26, 2005 9:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

AHAHAHAHAHA.. you got spammed! By someone who didn't know how to replace **keyword**

K, that was funny, beer through my nose and everything!

October 01, 2005 7:08 PM  
Blogger H said...

Aw crap - the spammers have found me. Damn fools. Looks like I may have to change my comment settings.

*sigh*

October 02, 2005 10:51 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home