Tuesday, September 13, 2005

The Update

I had an interesting time in Houston. Hurricane Katrina is one of the biggest disasters I've gotten to cover first-hand, the other major ones coming to mind being
Sept. 11 and Hurricane Charley.

And when I go onsite to cover a major disaster, I run into major media (see my photo to the left). This has a small tendency to throw me off since we always cover the issues these guys ignore or grow bored of within two days. Plus, I can't help it, they still make me feel inadequate and small. I shouldn't feel like this because what I do is important, but it still happens.

They all have their official press passes and cameras and reporter bags, etc... Although I do feel like an insider around them when it comes to a major disaster because we do find the things they don't cover. So it's two-fold. In any case, I was glad when that press conference was over and I could go back to reportorial obscurity.

I did get myself into the Astrodome, which was just shocking. I'm used to seeing sporting events in facilities like that - not thousands of people sleeping on cots surrounded by every belonging they could grab before leaving their homes. It's hard not to have survivors' guilt - or "non-hurricane affected" guilt - when I talk to the survivors. Their stories are sad and shocking. And then there are good stories of life and hope. The ride is an emotional roller coaster for all involved.

In one of the posts I made below, Cristina asked how best the public could help. One excellent way is to donate money to the charity of your choice. If you want to be more hands-on, you could also make health kits or flood buckets. Some agencies are now also taking volunteers. Do not just show up in Louisiana or Mississippi, make sure you go with a specific agency - that way they can provide for you and train you.

And that reminds me - don't forget that Hurricane Katrina did not just hit New Orleans. It devastated other parts of Louisiana and all of south Mississippi. Much of those areas are being ignored because of the tragedy going on in NOLA.

Which reminds me, this disaster will not be all patched up and fixed in three weeks. Volunteers, money and supplies will be needed for years. So if you can't volunteer now, wait a while and go in when everyone else has forgotten about it. And if you're determined to volunteer now, don't forget the thousands of people still recovering from last year's devastating hurricane season in Florida and Alabama. They need just as many volunteers to help rebuild homes there.

Now for the lighter moments, because, as I've said before, humor is necessary. I can't recall any particular knee-slapping moments on my trip down to Texas. In case you are keeping tabs on Heather's Rental Car Tests, I drove a Dodge Dakota Truck this time, and that's because the rental car place had nothing left but that when I arrived. I didn't argue because that's better than the little meep-meep compacts I'm normally thrown into.

Anyway, the truck was bad ass. I was up high and its engine was a monster. Well, it was compared to my putt-putt Saturn, anyway. A moped has a monster engine compared to my Saturn. So, obviously, I felt spoiled by this truck. And, I felt like a True Texan. All Texans drive trucks, in case you didn't realize.

I enjoyed Houston in general. I've really enjoyed Texas the few times I've been there. For this trip I again managed to refrain from randomly yelling out, "THE STARS AT NIGHT, ARE BIG AND BRIGHT......." to see who would respond. I imagine anymore that Texans would proudly finish that lyric and then proudly punch me in the face for being the 1 trillionth dumbass tourist to do that to them. So I sang it to myself whenever I did something Texas-like, such as drive a truck, run over a curb, punch an armadillo, hunt for jackalope, or cut someone off in traffic.

It was pretty awesome.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Any speed bump testing? Or just the curbs?

September 13, 2005 5:03 PM  
Blogger junebee said...

You're right, it will take decades for the recovery. I remember after 9/11, on the news it said that donations were way down because people gave for 9/11, so other charities went begging that year. Hopefully that won't happen again.

September 14, 2005 1:34 PM  
Blogger Tara said...

yeah, there's none of those animal huggers down there in God's Country to keep you from punching armadillos, is there? Seriously, sounds like quite a trip and I am sure it will take a while to distill all you've seen and learned.

September 14, 2005 3:01 PM  
Blogger a c said...

I just watched Pee Wee's Big Adventure last weekend w/ some friends. Awesome!

September 19, 2005 12:52 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home