Monday, November 07, 2005

Hooray for idiots!

Yesterday I got to watch my Cincinnati Bengals beat up on the Baltimore Ravens live and in person. I bought the tickets off my boss, who has season tickets to the Ravens.

So, Sunday morning Amy and I threw on our Bengals' jerseys and headed off into the enemy's territory, aka M&T Bank Stadium.

After paying an assload to park ($20? Are you kidding me?!), we made it into the stadium and pretty much had to seek out Magellan to find our seats. I think they deliberately make seats hard to get to for the other team's fans.

So, we finally get to our section and it's a great view of the field. Nice and high and not too far on one end of the field. Then we see the fans we have to sit with, and none look too happy to have two Cincy fans suddenly in their section. The guy at the end of our row even dismissed us when we wanted to slip past him to our seats.

"Yeah, you can wait - I'm watching the game," he sneered. Suck it.

We were finally allowed to our seats and then watched the wonderful game. It was pretty good for a while, and then the Ravens started crumbling. I really enjoyed watching some other team crumble for once. The fans around us ended up being rather friendly, too. One asked us how we ended up as Bengals fans and we had a nice conversation.

I also loved hearing the Ravens' fans booing their own team. I know that pain - I know it well. Plus I learned a few new choice insults that are too foul to post here. Let's just say that Ravens' fans are creative when it comes to creating new insults.

When the game ended (21 to 9, woo!), Amy and I headed out and moved toward the best story of the day. Once out in the walkway area where all the concession stands are, Amy said she neeeded to tie her shoe. So we moved off to the side and she bent down to tie her shoe. I stood behind her. As I waited, I heard someone behind me mutter, "Go away." I wasn't entirely sure it was directed at me both because I wasn't fully paying attention and because I wasn't even looking at anyone, really. Then came the other phrase.

"Lesbians..." the same gruff voice mumbled angrily. Um yeah, that was directed toward us. Amy was still tying her shoe, so I quickly turned around to face the mumbler.

"Hey - thanks for noticing!" I said cheerily, waving to him.

The look on his face was priceless. Here was this large burly fan, decked out in Ravens gear, who could have easily palmed my head. And I made him get red and turn his eyes away. I actually embarrassed him.

I kept smiling and turned back around, and then Amy and I moved on. We laughed our asses off the whole way back to the car. I mean, really, if you're going to insult us - at least use a derogatory phrase instead of just stating the obvious. Although, had he used another more choice word, I would've thanked him, too. That stuff doesn't bother me, really - especially if it's front of a bunch of other people. What better way for me to embarrass him than by putting on a big smile and thanking him for noticing?

Have a nice day. Oh yeah, and WHO DEY, bee-atches.

9 Comments:

Blogger amberance said...

Hey wait...you guys are LESBIANS? :-)

haha - what a moron, but about what I would expect from people who STEAL OTHER PEOPLE'S FOOTBALL TEAMS.

November 08, 2005 10:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, the fact that you guys are together resolves my crushes.
[sigh]

November 08, 2005 1:04 PM  
Blogger junebee said...

He was probably SO-O-O-embarassed (and drunk).

November 08, 2005 2:36 PM  
Blogger amberance said...

p.s. assjanitor

November 08, 2005 2:54 PM  
Blogger H said...

Alright - I give, who's the anonymous person?

November 08, 2005 4:05 PM  
Blogger Zwieblein said...

Heh heh-- way to go! And somehow, the "Go away" statement made me double over laughing.

November 09, 2005 10:14 AM  
Blogger Amy Sens said...

I know! I was just tying my shoe. Seriously.

November 09, 2005 10:23 AM  
Blogger d said...

Awesome story...but I thought guys loved lesbians?

November 09, 2005 11:48 AM  
Blogger Kerry said...

well done. truly. chalk one up for humor and civility in the face of idiotic attempts at harrassment. heather, you're awesome.

November 09, 2005 3:24 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home