Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Out of town

I was in Indiana doing tornado coverage all weekend, hence the blog quietness. The trip was good. As for transportation, the funniest part of the trip (now) was my connecting flight from Detroit to Evansville. Waiting in the gate area, I was sitting across a very large Kentucky family coming back from somewhere. No big deal, just an observation. And then one of the guys in the family sat down across from me and proceeded to dip.

So. Incredibly. Disgusting.

Look, I think smoking is a tad gross, too, but you know what? Smoking doesn't involve someone spitting out chunks of tobacco into a container. Plus, most smokers are nice enough to not blow smoke in your face and do it only two feet from you inside an airport. But this guy...ugh. This guy had a clear bottle and was spitting his chaw juice right into it, right across from me. He certainly wasn't quiet about it, either. And it was mid-sentence, too.

"Yeah, so I was out with *whack-phtoo* Donny and we was going to get a
*whack-phtoo* beer with our buddies, right? *whack-phtoo* And then we was driving later on *whack-phtoo* and...."

So nasty. Normally it takes a lot to make me nauseated, but this guy did it within one minute. I got up and moved across the seating area so I wouldn't have to be near it or see it. Gross. Come on, folks. If you're going to dip, have some frickin' courtesy and not try to make everyone near you vomit.

Anyway, I start feeling better, and now it's time to get on the plane. A flight from Detroit to Evansville will have you on a very small plane about three seats across. Fortunately, I don't have to sit next to the chewing tobacco guy. I settle into my seat and we take off. I'm about to doze off when I hear it. The most disgusting, liquidy cough I have ever heard. The whole plane (about 20 of us) shifts uncomfortably. And it continued. I don't know who it was, but Mr. Liquid McVomitcough kept it up for the ENTIRE FLIGHT. I put on headphones, I tried to read, I tried to sleep...nothing could take me away from it. I kept hearing it, some guy coughing up 15 lungs every minute or so.

I could not have been happier to get off that plane. I was even happy to get my putt-putt rental car, which was another Chevy Eyesore (aka, the Chevy Aveo). Who cares - at least no one was behind me coughing up internal organs or across from me spitting tobacco.

Sorry for the gross post, but I had to share. To take your mind of gross stuff, please enjoy this cute photo of a baby hippo about to eat a woman.

2 Comments:

Blogger junebee said...

That about tops it in the disgusting category.

November 16, 2005 2:56 PM  
Blogger Viraj said...

How does one even get addicted to something so disgusting? I mean, I sort of understand how kids can see smoking as a cool thing to do, but dipping is just awful. I can't imagine seeing someone like this guy, and deciding thats what I need to do to be cool.

November 20, 2005 7:26 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home