Monday, December 19, 2005

Bah Humbug

You know, normally I think the best of people until they prove otherwise. And then again, some people prove themselves to be complete losers from the beginning. I've never met the people that I am speaking about right now, but I know which category they fall into: The Asshole Category.

When Amy and I returned home from house-hunting Saturday afternoon, we saw a shredded package near the mailboxes of our apartment building. I immediately worried, knowing that it had to be ours and that we once again had fallen victim to the asshole-mail-tamperer contingent. This past summer we'd mysteriously lost two packages off our front stoop.

So when we walked up to the package, my heart sank when I saw Amy's name on it. It was a Christmas gift that her aunt and uncle had sent us - and some asshole had ripped it open and taken who knows what from it.

There are two groups of people to strongly dislike in this situation. One group is obvious - the assholes who did the ripping open. The second group is the U.S. Post Office. You see, when we'd had that rash of package theft this past summer, we told them to never, ever leave something on our porch again. The USPS rep said they'd made the note in our file and that they'd leave a packing slip from then on out. Plus, I just started telling everyone to mail packages to my office rather than my apartment.

But, some USPS dolt didn't get the memo this time, and we're the ones who once again suffered because of it. And what will the USPS do about it? Nothing. They couldn't care less. It's not their fault we live by thieving assholes who tamper with someone's mail whenever a package is left out. I can't imagine what the assholes would do if they could get into our mailboxes (those lock, fortunately).

In any case, we surveyed the damage and it looks like all the thieves got this time was a set of gloves. You see, Amy's aunt and uncle send us matching gifts every year. It's very cute, and this year they'd send us a set of red gloves, hat and scarf and a set of blue gloves, hat and scarf. We thought it was okay to look since someone had already opened the gift for us. And humorously enough, the thieves stole the red pair of gloves.

I've glossed over the fact that a steady stream of obscenities left my mouth when we discovered the opened package. Longshoremen would've blushed. Amy was g-rated pissed.

And here's what R-rated and G-rated anger will do: we've decided to get revenge. These little punks are obviously going to rip into anything that gets left out there that resembles a Christmas gift......so why not leave them a gift of our own? How about a decoy package from us? Oh yes.

Now we just need to decide on the contents. Our first thought was to just weigh a box down with rocks, and then leave a note inside of it for them (Amy wants to write "Suckers!" on it, while I want to write out my steady stream of obscenities and gruesome threats). Then we thought of filling a box with flour and leaving it out with said note. Then I thought of leaving out a box full of "presents" from our cat Tuesday - but that made us worry that the perp would then leave those "presents" all over our front door.

And here's what we're down to now....Chocolates. But not your regular delicious chocolates. We'd get a regular box of chocolates, remove said chocolates, and replace them with the delicious chocolates that our friends at the Ex-Lax corporation provide. Sweet, delicious revenge.

But we're still open to other ideas, so fire away in the comments section. I'm sure we can find some way to get even with the thieving assholes.

7 Comments:

Blogger junebee said...

Holy cow. I've heard of LOW, like stealing from the Salvation Army kettle or Girl Scouts. Beating up little old ladies or stealing kid's toys. For crying in a bucket.

The only thing I can suggest is something that makes a REALLY LOUD noise when the box is opened but I wouldn't know how to "rig" it so it only goes off when it is opened. I have plenty of dirty diapers I can send!

December 19, 2005 2:12 PM  
Blogger junebee said...

I linked this on my blog in case some of my readers have better ideas. We're almost all moms so we could really get together alot of dirty diapers!

December 19, 2005 2:31 PM  
Blogger Tara said...

I do agree something that might make a loud noise would be great. perhaps you should peruse spencer's at the mall & see if you can get some good gag.

December 19, 2005 5:39 PM  
Blogger Eric M said...

YOu an probably google on how to rig it to explode paint on whoever opens it.

The lawyers here might give oyu some guidance on any potential lawsuits from it.

But I would think most people wouldn't come to admit they opened it in order to sue you.

Another idea is a little note that says "smile, you're on camera mother f*cker."

December 19, 2005 5:58 PM  
Blogger d said...

Ooh...yes...a wireless camera. Is there any way to rig it so you can see who is stealing your stuff?

December 19, 2005 6:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well...
This might be a bit over the top, but hey, you asked!

Pick up an old fashion Zippo lighter at your local Quicky-Mart, take that spray can of hair spray you have left over from the 90's ball, and grab your duct tape and one of those nail file thingys that are about 5 inches long and look like they have sandpaper on one side. Oh, and you'll need an uncoated nail like a brite framing nail.

OK, I should mention that this kinda relies on the fact that the a**hole will open the box in a normal fashion, if given the chance, instead of slashing thru the top with a knife. You did say "shredded", so maybe this isn't such a good idea. In fact, the a**hole in question, may end up getting his eyebrows singed off, so this really may not be an appropriate thing to post.

Maybe I'll think of something a bit calmer.

December 19, 2005 7:12 PM  
Blogger Zwieblein said...

Heh heh-- as soon as I think of something appropriately, adolescently vindictive, I'll send it your way. In the meantime, definitely include the camera bit. Jerks.

December 20, 2005 7:06 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home