Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Christmas music

Will someone please hunt down Wilson Phillips and smack them for creating that horrible Christmas song "Hey Santa"? Seriously, it's such a horrible earworm that all it takes is for me to hear a slightly similar note to get that steamingly craptacular Christmas song stuck in my head.

If you've never heard that song before, get down and praise Jesus (or Allah or Buddha or VoodooMan or whomever you believe in) for sparing you its destructive power.

In the interests of getting the song out of my head now, I will list some Christmas songs that I do enjoy.

1 - Oh Holy Night (by anyone who has a great set of singing lungs)
2 - The BNL and Sarah McLachlan version of "God Rest ye Merry Gentlemen/We Three Kings"
3 - Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree (Brenda Lee version)
4 - Blue Christmas (only if it's the Elvis version, of course)
5 - Any big chorus version of Carol of the Bells
6 - What are you doing New Year's Eve? (only by Rufus Wainwright, of course)
7 - All of the music from the Nutcracker
8 - I Saw Three Ships (Sufjan Stevens)
9 - Hark! The Herald Angels Sing (heh heh, rhyming 'come' with 'womb', heh heh)
10 - White Christmas (Bing and Frank both do good versions of this)
11 - The Christmas Song (Nat King Cole, obviously)
12 - Angels We Have Heard on High

I know there are many more, but I can't think of any more. There are also some that I don't want to admit because they're slightly embarrassing. I'll just say "Mariah Carey" and "Josh Groban."

Anway, add your own that you love or hate.

10 Comments:

Blogger Tara said...

For obscure Advent/Christmas hymns, I've always liked "Jesus Christ The Apple Tree" and "Of the Father's Love Begotten." And anything from the John Denver & the Muppets Christmas Together CD.
Actually, it's funny, I was talking to Simon recently because he made me a cd of British holiday songs, which are mostly 70s and 80s pop tunes and I was saying how it seemed like most American Christmas songs revolve around WWII (i.e., "I'll Be Home For Christmas" and other similarly sad songs.).

December 06, 2005 5:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Freebird!

(yep, I still check in once in a while!)

December 06, 2005 5:57 PM  
Blogger junebee said...

"Up On The Housetop". When I was a teenager my sister used to BEG me to play it several times on the piano. She also liked "Yellow Submarine".

December 06, 2005 9:08 PM  
Blogger Viraj said...

Drummer Boy sung by Bing Crosby and David Bowie.

I need to go listen to the BNL/Sarah McLachlan song. I didn't know they had sung together.

December 07, 2005 8:58 AM  
Blogger Amy Sens said...

There is a new version of "Have yourself a merry little Christmas" that is pure torture. It's sung by somebody who thinks she can sing, but unfortunately doesn't know how to stay on-pitch. Oh, and she somehow manages to sound like a skanky lounge singer. I don't know who sings it, yet, but after only two hearings I know I will never buy any of her albums, ever, as revenge for subjecting human beings to that horrible sound.

December 07, 2005 9:30 AM  
Blogger Zwieblein said...

"Feliz Navidad" can get damned annoying after repeated play, but that first time out of the seasonal gate, it's the cheeriest song ever.

December 07, 2005 10:04 AM  
Blogger Tara said...

oh, there is also this awesome Caribbean-German band called Boney M that did a great Christmas album several years ago--you can check it out here. They did a great "Mary's Boy Child" with synthetizers and a Caribbean beat. It sounds awful, but it's actually really really good.

December 07, 2005 11:20 AM  
Blogger H said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

December 07, 2005 2:26 PM  
Blogger H said...

Agh, that's another song I hate! The "Mary's Boy Child" one! I think it's because 97.1 (the local "we play non-stop Christmas music from Nov. 15 until Dec. 25" radio station) plays it all the time.

December 07, 2005 2:28 PM  
Blogger d said...

All of the BareNaked Ladies Xmas CD is great - but especially "Elf's Lament", which basically insinuates that Santa is doping! VERY funny. They also have a version of "Deck the Halls" - all they say is "Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young"

December 07, 2005 4:57 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home