Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Misc. Random What-Nots

-You know what I could use right now? A Monster Truck show. Seriously. It's been too long since I've seen one. And I want a whole festival of destruction. Give me a demolition derby, some giant monster trucks and a huge Truckasaurus Rex robot that will pick up cars, light them on fire and then throw them. I get a joy like no other when I see those things. I remember seeing an awesome monster truck show when I lived in Vegas. It was so much fun. Cars were destroyed, Truckasaurus was huge and really did pick up cars, burn them and eat them. So amazing.

-Nicole Ritchie, please, go eat a sandwich. For the love of God, eat something. A bag of MnMs, a side of beef, a frickin' Chiclet....Anything. You look like a skeleton.

-Buying a house is so complicated my head is about to explode. I'll put up a longer post about the process soon, because it's been an experience so far. We've looked at some real crapholes, and then some nice places, too. To give a preview of the post - we saw a house that was chock full of mold and roaches. Mm hmm. Don't worry, we didn't give that one a second thought.

-Why do we need toilet paper commercials that demonstrate how soft the paper is by showing cartoon bears wiping their asses with said paper? Aren't bears a little more rugged than that? Come on, bears maul things and scratch their butts against trees. Anything is softer than the bark of a pine tree, so showing some bears using Charmin isn't going to convince me that it's amazing.

-From monster trucks to bear butts to my journalistic integrity - here's something cool: I was invited to speak at the National Press Club next month! I'm very excited to be part of a panel of journalists who will be talking about covering Hurricane Katrina. I got this gig because I know some people, but it's still pretty damn cool. The contact that asked me also said, "Now this won't be one of those panels that will be on C-SPAN, but it will still be recorded for our oral history archives..." Wow - there was a possibility of my even being on C-SPAN? Totally cool. Or boring, one of the two. I might have had to don a bowtie and lapse into a coma-inducing speech about what the real John Wilkes Booth was like. In any case, I'm excited about it.

5 Comments:

Blogger junebee said...

Congratulations on the speaking engagement. Have you started your speech yet?

House hunting is stressful. I was so glad when it was over. Good luck.

I always thought the bears were stupid too. Also stupid is that the industry calls it "bath tissue". If you really tried to use it in a bath it would fall apart.

My cousin and his son always go to the Monster truck thing. It's their tradition. Personally, I have never been to one.

January 10, 2006 2:23 PM  
Blogger Viraj said...

Have you ever tried the demolition derby thing? Lots of fun. No big monster trucks, just a bunch of crazy people driving around hitting each other :)

by the way, what was the real John Wilkes Booth like?

January 10, 2006 9:35 PM  
Blogger Zwieblein said...

Congratulations! Link me up to the speech when/if possible. Also, those Charmin commercials (along with most of the other marketing to which our freedom subjects us) annoy the-- hey!-- crap out of me, too.

January 11, 2006 10:06 AM  
Blogger Amy Sens said...

I love Book TV!!!

January 11, 2006 10:57 AM  
Blogger Cap said...

I just wanted to say hello...my sister finally put a link to your blog when I have free time to check it out. Good stuff...you're officially linked.

Brandon

January 12, 2006 9:49 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home