Friday, May 05, 2006

Ah, Spring

I've been MIA this week due to my head feeling like a giant bag o' snot. You're welcome for that nice visual.

Anyway, I'm not sure if it's a genuine cold or my body finally telling me that after 27 years, I can no longer say I have no springtime allergies. It wouldn't surprise me if it's allergies - there's enough pollen floating around here to kill most people. Even the bees are carrying boxes of kleenex. My car is regularly covered is a nice layer of the pollen dust every time I go outside. I could do lines off the car if I wanted to.

So I'm enjoying the spring through my box-like head and sniffly nose. I like seeing all the new leaves and flowers. What I don't like is all the spiders I keep finding. Normally I expect to see spiders moving into our apartment when it gets cold. That makes sense. I still kill them, but I understand their journey indoors. Yet now they're moving in even though it's wonderfully warm and pleasant outside. This upsets the pact I have with these horrible arachnids. My rule is that if I find a spider inside my living place, I am allowed to kill it (actually, Amy kills them, I just point them out). If I find one outside, it gets to live. That's how I roll.

The other day, though, I found a nice little hairy one sitting on top of the car right by my driver's side door. This is skirting a gray area of my rule. We're outside, so technically it's the spider's world. Yet it's on my car in the way of where I need to be. In comes the "Flicking Addendum" to my Spider Rule. If you are a spider outside but in the way of where I need to be, I'm allowed to flick you out of the way.

Of course, that means I sort of have to touch a spider, which is against my own personal Spider Rule: Never touch one with my bare hand. So at first I might blow on the spider to see if it will move. Of course it never does. They merely raise up their little front leg/claw thingees and shake them at me in anger. If I absolutely can't bring myself to touch the spider, I just get into the car as fast as I can, hoping I'll temporarly shock it with my amazing human speed so it won't have time to jump on me.

Then I enjoy seeing at what speed it takes for the wind to blow a spider off a car, cheering happily when it finally succumbs to the wind.

I'm a horrible, horrible human.

3 Comments:

Blogger junebee said...

You could brush the spider off the car with a handy object, such as a pen or stick.

Is it dry there? Here it has not rained in several months. Critters are coming out of the wilds looking for water.

May 05, 2006 6:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your spider rule sounds alot more merciful than mine. Mine is the only good spider, is a dead spider.

Jeff

May 05, 2006 7:21 PM  
Blogger Eric M said...

I wouldn't say you're horrible. I'd just say you aren't nearly violent enough.

May 10, 2006 4:44 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home