Thursday, July 27, 2006

New York

I'm in the Binghamton, N.Y., area right now for work. I've never been to this part of New York before so I'm enjoying seeing some new scenery. And it is very beautiful up here. Lots of trees, hills, rivers, etc... Oh, and destroyed homes, but that's not the beautiful part.

Anyway, nothing blog-worthy to share until today. I was driving through the Deposit area along Route 17. What a gorgeous area. Big hills covered in pine trees - all along the scenic Delaware River. The road was winding - just a great drive.

And there I was enjoying all of nature's beauty when, out of nowhere, a bird comes flying straight into the driver's side door while I'm going 65mph. It was a tremendous thud even though it was only a smaller bird. My thought pattern went from "Ahh, nature...look at all those big trees....nice flowing river...this is nice...I like it here because *THUD* HOLY SHIT, BIRD!!" I actually yelled out "Holy shit!" too. I even flinched, like it was going to fly through the door and hit me.

It's a good thing this Saturn (rental car) has those dent-resistant doors they're always advertising on TV. Can't imagine explaining that sort of dent to the folks at Enterprise. Thanks, nature. That'll teach me to appreciate you.

Anyway, I'm headed back home on Friday, just in time for some total awesomeness: We're going to see the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra and the Baltimore Choral Arts Society perform Beethoven's Ninth Symphony! I'm thrilled because I've wanted to see this performed live since I was young and played my Beethoven's Ninth CD into oblivion. Woohoo!

2 Comments:

Blogger junebee said...

Would you believe when I saw the 9th performed there was a fire alarm in the middle of it? Geez. Talk about ruining a mood.

Soon after I moved to FL, I hit a seagull which had stopped in the middle of the road to nibble some food. It bounced up onto the hood of the car but luckily it fell off before I had to stop and scrape it off.

July 27, 2006 8:56 PM  
Blogger Zwieblein said...

I've had three run-ins with birds on the road so far; the first one occurring in kindergarten, when my mom inadvertently ran over a chicken in the family beetle. Feathers everywhere, small children trying to decide whether they were amazed or ready to burst into tears.

Encounter #2: a bird flew straight into the windshield, no explanation. Same with encounter #3. I may contain some sort of event horizon of bird suicide inside of me; I can offer no other explanation.

July 28, 2006 10:39 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home