Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Fill in the blank: Yankees _ _ _ _!

My hair is always in a state of disarray in the morning. My bedhead is glorious, but not glorious enough to share it with those people I see on my morning walks. So I always put on a hat - and 99% of the time it's my Red Sox hat. This hadn't garnered me any reaction (it rarely does) until last week.

Walking past a bus stop I noticed a guy I normally see out there waiting each morning. Normally I don't pay much attention to him, except that I do notice that he is usually wearing a blue vest much like Wal-Mart employees wear. Whatever.

Yet last week when I walked past, he decided to make me notice him by angrily muttering, "Go Yankees!" right as I walked past.

Not one to miss this opportunity, and also because I'm well versed in the normal reaction to that phrase, I promptly turned back to look at him (while still walking) and answered with a smile and a, "Yankees suck!" And then I kept on walking, chuckling to myself. I've gotten worse from Yankee fans before (like the drunk fans who tried to pick a fight with me at Camden Yards one time), so this was nothing. He did sound rather angry, but whatever, I'd be angry if I had to wait for a bus every morning at 7 to go work at Wal-Mart, too.

Anyway, I saw him again this morning. This time he was a tad more bold, sort of yelling out a half-angry, half-timid, "Yankees!" as I passed. To which I replied, "Suck!" - along with the same friendly smile.

I don't know what else he expects from me. Maybe I'll wear my Bengals hat tomorrow to really throw him off. He'll probably be a Steelers fan just to continue the trend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home