Thursday, October 26, 2006

Where in the hell have you been?

On the Gulf Coast....and in a state of laziness. Meh, it's fall and I feel my energy level dropping due to the decreasing daylight.

What's that in the picture there? Why, it's a reason I hate Delta Airlines and why I hate Atlanta's airport. There are five airline tickets in that pic, folks. All for one day.

When I flew to the Gulf Coast for work last week I had to make connections in Atlanta both on the way down and on the way back. Of four flights taken on the trip, all were late. That's because Atlanta is the black hole of airports.

On the way down, I checked in for my 7:15am flight at 6am. Already it told me my 10:30am flight out of Atlanta would be delayed. Fantastic. When I arrived in Atlanta, my flight was delayed further, then canceled, then I was booked on another one but told to try for an earlier one on standby, then when I tried for that they told me another earlier and previously canceled one was not in fact canceled, so I tried for that one, but was told by someone else it was canceled - so I called Delta from the airport, they got confused and then decided that the canceled flight was indeed taking off. That photo above is the mess of tickets and rebooking papers I had been given from Delta in a matter of 20 minutes.

So I waited, and the flight did end up existing. I was happy because it was supposed to get me on the ground in Gulfport about 30 minutes sooner than the original delay said. Hooray! But I hooray'd too soon. Once I got on the plane, we then sat on the runway for another HOUR. Thanks, Atlanta!

On the way home, my flight out of Gulfport was delayed. When we arrived in Atlanta, I had ten minutes to make my connection. And of course you know where it was. Ten miles away from the gate we had landed at. The only consolation I received from the AirTran rep who greeted our late flight with connection information (I flew AirTran home, Delta on the way down) was a, "Oh man, you'd better hurry."

And so I ran across two entire terminals. It was just like a movie, me running full speed carrying two bags, dodging in and out of people's ways.

I arrive at gate D2 with barely any time to spare. The gate sign says the flight is still on time, but there's no one in the gate area, so I ask the oblivious gate attendants.

"Oh man - am I too late to make the Baltimore flight?"

They don't even look up at me when replying, "Oh, the Baltimore flight - that one got moved to a different gate."

And that gate of course is forever away. I turned around, yelled, "SHIT!" (which got some laughs from the few people still sitting there) and ran again.

I arrived at the final gate to find a huge crowd of people. Our flight out had not boarded yet because our flight attendants weren't there yet either. So we waited. 1.5 hours later, we finally leave.

Thanks, Atlanta.

Anyway, to cheer up this disgruntled post, let's look through some photos I took on my camera phone.

That's some Caesar salad I saw in my local Giant grocery store whose brand name cracked me up. I am easily amused.

People stared at me when I took the picture. They obviously don't appreciate the humor.







And now look at that picture of a GIANT fish head I saw in a canal on the beach in Gulfport, Miss. What ate it? I'm guessing the four foot alligator I saw in the canal just up from it. Seriously, I saw an alligator in the wild. On the beach. It was pretty damn cool.

The fish head doesn't look that huge in this photo, but I assure you - it was. It had to be the size of a bowling ball, if not slightly larger. Had it not be a genuine gross nasty carcass of a dead fish head, it would've made a great puppet.



I'll keep it up with the "OMG POST PHOTOZ OF MY CAT!!11!" trend. This is Tuesday using her powers of cuteness to get whatever she wants. Which in this photo is her own pillow and blanket. We are powerless against her will.

Had she been with me in Mississippi, I'm sure she would've requested the giant nasty fish head.






And finally, because Fenway Park is awesome, here's one view from within the park.

4 Comments:

Blogger Zwieblein said...

Whoever came up with the Et Tu brand name deserves a bonus. That's awesome. We need to go rifling through gift stores again some time soon.

October 27, 2006 10:18 AM  
Blogger Tara said...

I also detest the Atlanta airport. It's consistently rated the worst for on-time departures.

October 27, 2006 3:40 PM  
Blogger amberance said...

I would buy that salad just because of the awesome name.

I haven't been at the Atlanta airport in years, but I remember it being a lot like a mall. They had a Bath and Body Works and an Express. Maybe it's a conspiracy to get people to shop there.

October 27, 2006 4:04 PM  
Blogger junebee said...

Yeah, Atlanta's not a good one to have to travel through.

Love the pic of Tuesday all cuddled up and ready for bed. What a spoiled kitty!

October 29, 2006 8:25 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home