Friday, December 29, 2006

The Holidays

I had a lovely Christmas, thank you for asking. Amy and I were up at her family's in Minnesota. We had a fun time with lots of relatives, a new nephew and family photos. It was a busy time.

I held a baby, which is difficult because I'm freaked out by holding babies. I feel like I'm going to break them. It's not like I'm throwing them around, but I don't know how to hold them and they're squirmy and they cry. Also they smell.

In any case, I still held the new nephew once and it wasn't horrible. He's a cute kid, even when he's spitting up and/or drooling.

I'm better with older kids, so the other nieces and nephews and I had fun chasing each other and playing games where they're allowed to cheat and I have to play by the rules. Cheating is funny when it's a kid. The five-year-old nephew and I played "Slow Tag." If you're not familiar with the rules of Slow Tag, it's basically this: He can run at full speed and you must walk in slow motion.

When the five-year-old nephew was asked about his cheating at another particular game, he gave an amazing Oscar-worthy speech about the topic:

"When she turns away, I do this. (He adjusts the spinner of the game to benefit his turn) That is cheating. I am a cheater."

Then he jumped down off the chair and walked away. It was beautiful.

The Christmas gifts were great, too. I got two excellent books, the DVD of my latest favorite move "Little Miss Sunshine" - and then Amy's dad got me a book of Sudoku puzzles.

At first I was exactly that - puzzled. I'd only ever tried to do a Sudoku maybe once or twice, and I sucked at it. Big time. But I fugured I'd give them another try since I now had a book of roughly 250 of them.

And that's all it took. I am now an addict, thankyouverymuchAmy'sDad. I can't stop.

We also went to see the new movie "Dreamgirls," which is pretty good. A bit too long, but still a good movie with some amazing singers. Eddie Murphy does a great James Brown impression.

Speaking of that, I was crushed to hear that James Brown died. I have loved his music for years.

And now it's back to the grind. One day of work before a three day weekend. Whee! Happy New Year, folks!

2 Comments:

Blogger Tara said...

yeah, the Big Book o' Sudoko is deathly. there was a period last year where I was waking up tired every morning because I had stayed up too late trying to solve those puzzles.

December 29, 2006 1:47 PM  
Blogger junebee said...

Happy New Year. Here's wishing you no more creatures in your car.

I don't think I could begin to do Sudoko. All those numbers scare me. Crosswords, any day, bring 'em on. Any puzzle with numbers, forgetabout it.

December 29, 2006 9:22 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home