Monday, March 19, 2007

The picks and some books

Normally I don't care much for college basketball - at least not until March Madness hits. Most years I do some brackets just to see how low I can rank in ESPN's online contest. I typically do much worse on the women's brackets, too.

Sometimes I try to not overthink it and instead do something like a college friend's mom always does: Pick the winners based on whose school colors are better and which schools' mascots are neater. Yet I can't maintain that because I hold alliance to some teams (O-H!).

So this year, I'm again getting obliterated in my women's brackets, and am doing mediocre at best on the men's brackets. Right now I'm ranked 1,125,598th on the ESPN's men's bracket. Awesome.

In other news, I have now finished four books as part of my year-long "Get Off Your Ass And Read More, You Loser" campaign for myself. I'm sure Amber is on book #789, but that's cool because it just makes me want to read more. Anyway, after my embarrassingly slow start of one short book in two months, I've now read three in two weeks.

I finished "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" - and it was really good. I knew how it ended since I'd seen the movie, but it was still very interesting. It was a little heady at times because the narrator used a lot of symbolism in several chapters, but once through that it got much better.

Then this weekend I burned through "The Zombie Survival Guide: Complete Protection from the Living Dead." That was equally fantastic. I love how Max Brooks' wrote some version of this sentence throughout each section of advice in it: "...or you may find yourself being gripped by the cold hands of the moaning undead masses." Seriously, he must have written it 15 different ways, and each time it was hysterical.

Next up is "In Dubious Battle" by John Steinbeck, since I borrowed it from the library and it's due back soon.

2 Comments:

Blogger junebee said...

I read a book in two days last week because I thought this here laptop was screwed up. Now I have one more out of the 3 I was planning to read.

March 19, 2007 9:00 PM  
Blogger Eric M said...

I-O

March 21, 2007 9:51 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home