Wednesday, April 25, 2007

EarthLink

When I travel for work I always take a back-up emergency internet dial-up number in case I can't locate any wireless.

Today when searching for some access numbers for New Jersey (where I will be on Thursday and Friday - I know, holy crap sudden work travel!), I couldn't find any. EarthLink's internet access number search feature was failing me.

So I logged onto their LiveChat to get one from a human. Of course, as soon as I started talking to that nice foreign guy named "Harry N," the feature started working again and I located an access number.

Harry N was very nice, though, and tried offering me several free limited time offers from EarthLink. I wasn't really interested, but he was persistent. And friendly. I figure LiveChat workers must get bored, so I joked around with him a bit, as I do every time I use LiveChat.

Here's the chat log starting after we figured out the internet access number problem.

Harry N : Okay, I am glad the issue is resolved.
Harry N : Yes, you can use that number to connect to EarthLink without any issues.
Me: excellent, thanks for the help - sorry to bug you with something I figured out on my own
Harry N : You are welcome!
Harry N : Before you go, may I provide you with some valuable information?
Me: you're going to tell me to stop using dial-up, aren't you?
Me: :)
Me: it's just a back-up, i have wireless. this is a work trip, i'm just preparing in case i can't find any wireless nearby


Harry N : I would also like you to know that EarthLink is giving away CD's of Norton Internet Security to all its customers free of cost for a month as a free trial and this would also include 24 by 7 free technical support and a free CD to install the software. If you would like to try the product and see how it works I will send you a free copy of your Norton Internet Security CD and an email with the activation code so that you can install it and protect your computer.
Harry N : I will give you the first 30 days for free to check it out, with no commitment. Once you start using this, you'll definitely appreciate my suggestion. Shall I go ahead and send you the CD?
Me: no thanks, we've got an anti-virus program on our computer already. thank you for the offer, though.
Harry N : Why not try it for a month free of charge to see how it works? I am confident that you will like it so much that you will want to keep it!
Harry N : Else you can cancel the service at anytime.

Me: because my computer has enough slow and annoying software on it already
Harry N : We are here to assist you around the clock.
Me: and i'm happy with my current anti-virus software
Harry N : I have another free offer which will enhance your computer performance.
Me: i hope it's free DSL, i'd use that.
Harry N : EarthLink PC FineTuneā„¢ is a 1-click software solution that allows customers to easily optimize their PC's performance. With a simple mouse click, you can: (1) Defrag your hard drive, (2) Remove cookies and other unnecessary files, (3) Fix registry errors, and (4) Detect the early signs of hard drive failure.
Simply using your PC for normal, everyday tasks inevitably results in decreased computer performance. On top of that, when you remove spyware from your PC, non-malicious but corrupted and fragmented files are left behind.
Try EarthLink PC Fine Tune FREE for 30 days ($4.95/month thereafter).
As always, by purchasing PC FineTune from EarthLink, you can enjoy the convenience of one low, monthly bill and access to 24/7 phone and online support.
Run PC FineTune weekly as part of your ongoing PC maintenance or every time you remove spyware from your computer to keep it running as smoothly as the day you brought it home.

Me: Does this need to be installed on my computer to work?
Harry N : I will give you the first 30 days for free to check it out, with no commitment. Once you start using this, you'll definitely appreciate my suggestion. Shall I go ahead and send you the CD?
Harry N : Yes, this software has be to installed on your computer for best result. However, it will not take much space of your computer.
Me: Is this offer available if I'm not on chat?
Me: or do i have to get the offer from a chat person?
Me: Because I have to think it over first.
Harry N : You need to get this from a chat person that is the reason I have suggested, why not try it for a month free of charge to see how it works? I am confident that you will like it so much that you will want to keep it!
Me: You seem really confident, Harry.
Me: Almost too confident.

Me: When does the free month start - when I install it on my computer, or when you send out the CD?
Harry N : Yes, I am 100% confident that this will take care of your slow computer issues...
Harry N : The day you receive the CD.
Me: If it doesn't, will you have to owe me something? Like a beer or a hug?
Me: And how much does it cost once the month is done?
Harry N : You have a nice sense of humour.
Me: Thank you. That must be LiveChat code for "This woman is crazy."

Harry N : After the 30 days of trial-period, you will be charged only $4.95 per month.
Me: well, I'm going to skip that offer as well. I appreciate it, though.
Me: Have you tried it on your own computer?
Harry N : Yes, I have very well tried on my computer and that is the reason I have offered you to go for the free trial when you described the slowness of your computer.
Me: Well, I appreciate your honesty and your confidence. You're a nice guy, Harry N.
Harry N : Thank you for the appreciation. Shall I go ahead and sign up for the free trail of PC FineTuen?
Me: no thanks.
Me: I'll risk going without.

Harry N : Not a problem, please ignore the above statements.
Harry N : Thank you for using EarthLink LiveChat. Harry N : Have a great day..
Harry N : Bye!


Lovely - he signed off before I had a chance to ask him about the "please ignore the above statements" sentence he so quickly threw it in there at the last moment.

2 Comments:

Blogger Zwieblein said...

Brilliant. I'm wondering what I should do once my move is complete-- ditch Earthlink and its trans-oceanic bureaucracy, or do what they're counting on: my taking the lazy way out and just sticking with them.

Any time I call, they try and offer me Norton-- and even after I tell them that said piece of crap let in countless malicious bugs, they're still on with their spiel. One argument over Norton, where the guy was just not listening to what I said, was probably the ugliest conversation I've had with an E-link representative.

April 26, 2007 10:36 AM  
Blogger amberance said...

haha, awesome. Thanks for the dino message by the way. That was rad.

April 27, 2007 10:59 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home