Tuesday, July 24, 2007

A great find
I'm closing down our Earthlink internet service because it's time to upgrade. In doing so, I've been cleaning out my earthlink email account and finding neat old things I'd saved from years ago.

Getting rid of Earthlink is kind of bittersweet, I suppose. I've been with them since June of 2001. Yeah, seriously. Even the gal I spoke with on the phone today was shocked when she looked that up. Anyway, Earthlink's never given me too many problems, really.

As I've sorted through the old emails, I found one from ages ago reminding me that I had access to Earthlink's website builder. Then I remembered that I once had an Earthlink website. I logged in and looked it all up. Wow, it's so very 2002 and crappy.

Then I looked through all the photos I had on there and came across something that made me so happy I yelped: The digital photos I took at Ground Zero when I was there in early October 2001 for my first ever freelance reporting assigment for the Disaster News Network.

It's like these photos were meant to be taken away from me. DNN changed servers a few times and because we hire stupid IT people and my boss is dumb, we'd loss many, many of our old photos. So I thought these were lost forever. Also, the digital camera they were once on (old school and cheapy Polaroid digicam we got for maybe $20 on clearance at Filene's Basement in Boston) was stolen, as was the laptop they were housed on. Ah, Boston and it's multiple apartment break-ins.

Anyway -I found the photos. It's like a special little gift from my past self who once put them up on a crappy Earthlink DIY website. They are viewable on my website, rather they were stored in the photo section of my website builder.

And now I will share them with you all. They're nothing phenomenal as far as quality (again, crappy digicam), but they sure mean a lot to me. I can remember what it was like to be standing there taking those shots, reporting on such a major event as a young reporter. I'm not saying I'm an old reporter now, just that I have more experience and now I've seen lots more terrible things.

Enough talking, here they are.

This first one was my favorite, we used it on DNN's front page with one of my articles. It was taken I think from the intersection of Church and Chambers streets, but I'm not sure. In any case, it's looking south and it's the southernmost point they'd let you go coming from one direction.







This next rings home to me because of the toxic dust issue I've been following since then. Just look at that dust on the buildings.

I'll just post the rest now. Some are of tributes people wrote in the dust or taped to walls right by Ground Zero. Others are of a destroyed building 7 in the distance, or of distant destroyed WTC buildings. The rest were taken from Broadway and Vessey streets or Broadway and Fulton, I believe, looking east toward Ground Zero. One might also be from Broadway and Liberty streets, the one where you can see the WTC building rubble itself, along with a crane.






































0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home