Monday, January 14, 2008

The Plague

Dear sweet Jesus, I just had a cold that knocked me on my rear for a solid week. Unreal. I managed to make it through the last winter season cold-free, but this time my luck ran out. Amy and I both got it, too, which made for a Dark Ages kind of house, complete with me wondering if I should burn our sheets and pajamas, and maybe spray paint "UNCLEAN" on the outside of our house.

Saturday I finally got my strength back, and just in time! I've signed up for another class this year - this time it's Aqua Aerobics! Go ahead, make jokes about how I'm a 65 year old woman. We already own a Buick, so it's hard to argue against that.

Anyway, my first class was yesterday at our local YMCA and it kicked ass. While I was definitely the youngest person in the class, I was not younger than the rest by years and years. There were two other gals who looked to be in their 30s. But yes, beyond that, you are correct - lots of older moms and grandmas.

The class was 45 minutes of fun, and it was a real workout, too. The first half was just water resistance stuff, all set to a funny mix of music. It went from Yanni to Tina Turner to Cher to Yanna to Cher to Yanni. I didn't have much trouble keeping up with the other ladies, almost all of whom had taken the previous aqua aerobic classes. I did have trouble from time to time maintaining my coordination. All those knee lifts to elbows to a beat wasn't too easy.

The part that whupped me good was when we brought in the floating dumbbells. I probably didn't have to write "floating," but I did. Can you imagine if we'd brought in regular dumbbells or barbells? Man, now there's some resistance...and sinking women.

Anyway, we had to maneuver these good-sized floating dumbbells underwater, which was really hard. I started floating when I tried keeping the things underwater, floating and turning around and then slowly capsizing. A funny sight, I'm sure, like skinny Titanic slowly arguing with the water as my face moved toward the surface. Then the teacher told us to keep the things underwater while moving them up and down and jogging into the deep end. Thankfully I didn't drown, but I'm not sure how anyone behind me was able to move and not laugh at me. Maybe we all looked the same?

I had a great time and wish I could do the class everyday, but it's only every Sunday until early March.

Also, this year's book tally is already at 2, in case you're keeping count.

3 Comments:

Blogger Tara said...

glad to hear you're on the mend. whatever it was that went around was bad, bad, bad. I still am coughing a little, 2 weeks later.

January 15, 2008 9:11 AM  
Blogger Amy Sens said...

Update: Heather continues to love water aerobics.

February 17, 2008 9:22 PM  
Blogger Tara said...

Time to update, Heather. What am I paying this extra money to Amy for the "HeatherSelect" content on this website for?

February 29, 2008 2:39 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home