Thursday, March 27, 2008

Busy
Uh oh, I started slacking again here. Keep on it, keep on blogging!

I had a nice Easter weekend with my parents, who came down last Thursday. We spent Friday up at Longwood Gardens in PA, which is truly an amazing place. I'd been there once before and knew I had to bring my mom - the gardener extraordinaire. They were having an orchid festival and I can't even describe how beautiful all the thousands of orchids were. I wish I could go to this place every week, or that I lived closer so I could apply to be one of their volunteers.

But since I can't, I instead enjoy tending my own plants at the house and now at my office. I got a goldfish plant (named for its goldfish-resembling blooms) for my office since I have a window that gets great sunlight. I'm also now trying to revive two near-death plants my coworker left behind when she switched offices. That seems to be a trend with me - reviving plants that others leave behind or neglect, and I'm getting pretty good at it.

I've now got some daffodils coming up in the front yard - and all the cherry blossoms in DC are blooming, which is beautiful. Hooray for spring.

In other unrelated news, Tuesday night saw me watching one of the most amazing movies I've ever seen - "The Warriors." Wow. I had been talking to some guy friends about our love of action movies, be the movies stupid or not who cares, we just like watching people fight or watching things blow up from time to time. These guys then asked if I'd seen the 1979 classic gang film "The Warriors," and when I said no, they gasped in shock.

And so I rented it and was thus amazed. (Here is the trailer on YouTube) I have a hard time describing it, but I'll try. All of New York's gangs (in what they call "sometime in the future," but which actually represents late 70s NYC) gather to unite around one leader, the leader is shot and the gang called "The Warriors" is framed. The Warriors then have to get from the Bronx back to their home turf on Coney Island by wading through all these gangs trying to kill them. There's a lot of great fighting and corny lines, but the best part is the costumes. Just watch the trailer and you'll know what I mean. Truly epic. I could watch it again and again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home