Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Spring
Ugh, thank you spring for finally starting to show up 'round these here parts! I've done some spring cleaning on this blog, too, obviously.

Yesterday morning while waiting for the commuter train (which was on time for the first time in more than a week), I looked up into the lovely blue sky and noticed several huge flocks of geese flying home from their winter vacations. They were really high and I'm pretty sure I'm the only one at the train stop who even noticed. People at my train stop are grouchy in the morning - which is understandable. It's early, the train's usually late - especially when it's colder than cold out. Their heads are frequently in a newspaper or they're distracted by their Blackberries.

Our stop is also devoid of any real comfort measures. Yeah, we've got a few benches, and they're under some shanty-like pieces of metal - but nothing enclosed that's near the tracks. We have a trailer set back about 100 feet or more from the tracks. Thankfully it has a bathroom and is heated, but it's not really convenient for waiting unless it's really frigid outside. I used a few times this winter when the train was delayed and it was less then 20 degrees outside.

The best part of the trailer is that the commuters literally pack themselves into it - moreso when there's a delay. This means when you open the door to squeeze yourself in, you are greeted with the faces of about 100 people all staring straight ahead at the door. I wish there was some way I could take a picture of it, it's hysterical. Just a sea of eyes staring forward, and it's about dead silent. No one says a word. The best comparison I have to it is this photo of the seagulls from "Finding Nemo."

Once I get to DC and start walking to the office, there are also a lot of interesting sites. Union Station is still beautiful to me even though I see it every day. The way the grand hall looks in the morning when the sunlight comes in at just the right angle - it's gorgeous and the whole place glows. Here's a photo of it, I walk through here every day. Here's another. And here's one more. I will also never get tired of getting to ride a train every day. It's fun and I get to see the Acela speed by our train stop at full speed twice every day. Call me simple.

I still think my favorite once-in-a-lifetime sight I had walking to work one morning was the tourist on her hands and knees crawling into the underbrush of a pinetree, all while holding a digital camera. The reason? She was trying to get a photo of a squirrel. Seriously. And this was on the nice lawn in front of the Thurgood Marshall Federal Judiciary Building (seen here, the lawn is unseen because it's to the right of this main entryway).

Anywho, that's what I got for now. Let me know if you folks need any squirrel pictures. I can hook you up, I know a lady.

1 Comments:

Blogger Amy Sens said...

woo hoo! she's back. :)

March 06, 2008 9:36 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home