Wednesday, January 12, 2005

Advice

I'm honored when people ask me for advice. Makes me feel wise, or maybe like they just ran out of other people to ask and I was the only one left in the room. In any case, here's some wisdom I recently gave to a friend:

In my experience, when God closes a door, he opens a window.....and then he pushes me out of it and I land in a huge thorny shrubbery three floors below. Naked. But in front of the thorny shrubbery and my bloodied corpse, lies something quite awesome that I didn't expect. Like band-aids. Or a phenomenal career move. There's a message in that. I don't know where, but maybe you'll find it.

2 Comments:

Blogger Eric M said...

yeah. We can call the book Stupid Christian Cliches.

Seriously, anyone else get tired of all the stupid cliches we Christians toss around to try to comfort others?

How many can we list?

"He/she is in a better place now."
"God has someone out there for you."
"Sometimes we just don't understand God's ways."
"When God closes a door, He opens a window."

I'll be honest, that one is the dumbest one. It saves the person from actually engaging in a conversation with that person. Spout the cliche and move on. No involvement necessary.

Heather's revision is much better. Actually gets the listener to keep listening.

Does anyone actually enjoy hearing those things?

January 13, 2005 11:07 AM  
Blogger H said...

Oh! I see a challenge. Because you like my 'God Shoved Me Out the Window' advice, I'll try to revamp these ones you listed here. Will post them when they're ready.

January 13, 2005 12:12 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home